23 (19%)
No
 66 (54.5%)
Already a member, dumbass!
 17 (14%)
I got a 162!
 15 (12.4%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: So, are you joining mensa?  (Read 34057 times)

bhvexille

So, are you joining mensa?
« on: January 03, 2005, 05:32:43 AM »
So apparently a 163 = auto admit to Mensa!

"Wait, what is that?  A law school?  Is it any good?  Did they send you a fee waiver?"

Sorry, it's a 'social club' of sorts for people who do well on tests.  They have meetings and parties, and "special interest groups" that have their own meetings and parties and newsletters, etc. 

I'm considering joining when I go to law school, as it will probably (hopefully) be across the country in sunny southern california, and I think it might be a good way to meet some new and different people... also, I guess it might look good on a resume, right?

There are downsides though: a lot of people look down on mensa members.  Whether they're for realistic reasons or not, telling people you're in mensa can be animosity-inducing.  That would make me wary of putting it on my resume.   Also, apparently a lot of people at mensa meetings are socially inept.. and most of them seem to be upwards of twice our ages (well, twice mine at least). 

So, are you joining?  Why or why not? 

If you're already a member, share your experiences with us...

And no matter what your answer to the poll may have been, what are your off-hand thoughts about people in mensa, and why they join mensa?  Don't worry, I won't be offended.  ;)

twarga

Re: So, are you joining mensa?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 06:06:29 AM »
My uncle was a member of Mensa and a true genius.  He was an inventor, a business owner, self-made, etc.  I always thought it would be really great to be a member of Mensa because it would be filled with people like him.  But now that I know I could just join because of my LSAT score, it doesn't seem so appealing.  I couldn't crack 163 on my practice tests until I studied for 3 months anyway, so I don't think I'm a natural. 

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 07:23:51 AM »
No interest in Mensa. I can't stand the uncritical faith people have in test scores as an accurate measure of intelligence. We can't even agree on a precise definition of intelligence, yet we believe that we can measure it with three-digit accuracy.

I wouldn't want to hang around people who were specifically hanging around each other because they thought they were smarter than everyone else.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:44:33 AM »
So apparently a 163 = auto admit to Mensa!

"Wait, what is that?  A law school?  Is it any good?  Did they send you a fee waiver?"

Sorry, it's a 'social club' of sorts for people who do well on tests.  They have meetings and parties, and "special interest groups" that have their own meetings and parties and newsletters, etc. 

I'm considering joining when I go to law school, as it will probably (hopefully) be across the country in sunny southern california, and I think it might be a good way to meet some new and different people... also, I guess it might look good on a resume, right?

There are downsides though: a lot of people look down on mensa members.  Whether they're for realistic reasons or not, telling people you're in mensa can be animosity-inducing.  That would make me wary of putting it on my resume.   Also, apparently a lot of people at mensa meetings are socially inept.. and most of them seem to be upwards of twice our ages (well, twice mine at least). 

So, are you joining?  Why or why not? 

If you're already a member, share your experiences with us...

And no matter what your answer to the poll may have been, what are your off-hand thoughts about people in mensa, and why they join mensa?  Don't worry, I won't be offended.  ;)

If you get your hands on a MENSA bulletin, you're realize the members are not all that intelligent, as compared to members of other academic publications.    When I compare it to a Phi Kappa Phi bulletin it's a joke.  More than likely many people join MENSA because they simply have interests that differ from society at large AND have a difficult time finding outlets that satisfy this need.  My guess is this is less of a problem for college graduates and especially law students. 

Membership probably is ok to meet more people.  A resume is a different story.    If you're soliciting work as an employee (ie: you're not the top dog), I would not put it on a resume since it is an exclusionary group, looks bombastic, and employers are looking for team players.  On the other hand, if you're seeking clients, it could help since obviously clients want someone who is intelligent.  Having been a member for many years, I would question those who list MENSA on their resume BUT lack other qualifications such as Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, achievement etc..  I'd probably then type-cast this as a social-retart member.

All in all, it would be fun to see and experience, like a Star Trek convention.. but whether you want to marry this group is another question.

Damn.. I just broke my New Years Resolution, already spending too much time on LSD.

tsilva25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 01:21:21 AM »
As a current member, I couldn't agree more with bhvexille's comments.  I joined after taking Mensa's standardized test (although my GRE score was enough to get me in as well) and instead of finding bright, open-minded intellectuals, I found a group of really snotty super-conservative super-religious whack jobs.  Of course, living in the Bible Belt might have something to do with it.

I've heard horror stories about people putting it on resumes and such.  A real no-no.  People don't really want to know that according to some test, you're in the top 2% of intelligent life on the planet (as Mensa is fond of claiming).  Furthermore, anyone I've ever told has wound up treating me differently.  For these reasons, I decided not to renew my membership this year.

Funny thing, even though I'm already in Mensa, I can't get above a 158 so far on practice exams!

156 LSAT | 3.49 UGPA | 3.85 GGPA

=) : Memphis, UPacific
=| : Hofstra, Baylor
=( :

"...But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?" - J.R.R. Tolkien

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 01:39:51 AM »
I took the test and joined for one reason:

Car insurance discount!!!
I am 25 with numberous tickets and I needed help.  I found it in mensa.  I took the regular mensa exam a few years ago, and it was fun.

in addition to all this there is the newsletter; the classifieds are a laugh riot.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

bhvexille

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 01:47:54 AM »
How does the discount work?

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 01:53:09 AM »
How does the discount work?

I dunno, but with geico I saved like 4-600 a year.

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 02:14:32 PM »
Is it unrealistic to think that I could breathe some life into my local chapter? I thought maybe if I joined I could take advantage of their funds for a literacy program or something. I rarely hear about Mensa doing anything useful, but that doesn't mean it couldn't. I think it might be cool if younger people joined and changed the tenor of the group.

I looked at their interset group list and was disappointed by all the mystical ones (like psychic stuff, UFOs, etc). There is one skeptics group, though.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 02:35:44 PM »
my favorite SIG was the S&M one: whips and brains.