23 (19%)
No
 66 (54.5%)
Already a member, dumbass!
 17 (14%)
I got a 162!
 15 (12.4%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: So, are you joining mensa?  (Read 34286 times)

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So, are you joining mensa?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »
Yes, Mensa is not particularly prestigious.  Yale isn't difficult to get into at all.  You just have to work hard.  And once you're there, it's worth it--the rest of the ride is catered.

Well, according to LSN the following GPA/LSAT combos have been rejected by Yale: 3.88/178, 3.92/178, 3.80/174, 3.63/175.  So it seems to be a little more difficult than you might think, unless you are so brilliant that you can knock out a >3.9/>179 and have time for a bartending job on the side.

stumpythebigmeanfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 06:58:15 PM »
Yes, well I had a 4.0+ GPA and a 180 when I applied.  I didn't get other people drunk and kill their brain cells; I volunteered at an AIDS clinic.  I was accepted to all of the T6, including Yale.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
So basically you are saying:
(1) I got into Yale.
(2) Therefore, it is not difficult to get into Yale.

Many would find flaws in such reasoning, but who am I to argue with your perfection?

stumpythebigmeanfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 07:04:58 PM »
I said you just have to work hard to get into Yale.  "Difficult" would be something you have little or no control over; to a large extent, the law school you go to is a result of your choices.

Example: The war in Iraq is difficult.  All the effort in the world could still result in failure.  With sufficient effort, getting into Yale isn't a problem.  They have high standards, sure, but it's still very do-able.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 07:13:18 PM »
I said you just have to work hard to get into Yale.  "Difficult" would be something you have little or no control over; to a large extent, the law school you go to is a result of your choices.

Example: The war in Iraq is difficult.  All the effort in the world could still result in failure.  With sufficient effort, getting into Yale isn't a problem.  They have high standards, sure, but it's still very do-able.

I'm sorry.  I must have been confused when you said "Yale isn't difficult at all to get into" above.

Your schtick grows weary. 

Ravishing Rick Rude

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »
Join MENSA if you are looking for a Magic:The Gathering buddy, or if the idea of discussing wormholes/chaos theory/fractals/other "popular science" topics with mouth-breathing non-scientists or bored physicians who watch lots of NOVA and largely don't know what in the hell they're talking about appeals to you.

stumpythebigmeanfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 07:19:07 PM »

I'm sorry.  I must have been confused when you said "Yale isn't difficult at all to get into" above.

Yeah, reading helps, you know.  Who knows, could have earned you 9 more pts. on that LSAT, huh?  Here's what I actually said:

Yes, Mensa is not particularly prestigious.  Yale isn't difficult to get into at all.  You just have to work hard.  And once you're there, it's worth it--the rest of the ride is catered.

Now, you dropped your little bold markers around "Yale isn't difficult to get into at all" while completely ignoring what followed.  You just have to work hard.  In other words, you and you alone are responsible for getting into Yale.

If a circumstance is 99% within your own control, how is that difficult?  It'd be sheer laziness to argue otherwise.

redemption

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
Why?  I honestly believe poor people have no business in college.  American corporations have thrived, in part, because of their proud tradition of nepotism.  Strivers, on the other hand, are usually ego-inflated self-promoters who think that "merit" is remotely related to grubbing.

Specifically to bartenders, I told the poster that serving poison for a living is not something to be proud of.  Kids have put themselves through Stanford dealing cocaine.  Should I applaud them?  No, obviously not.  Why should it be any different when it's alcohol?  Just because a substance is legal doesn't mean you make a living selling it.  I would say the same to people who sell assault rifles.

Hahahahahaha!

Putz.

Why are the rest of you giving this moron the time of day?

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 07:24:06 PM »

Yeah, reading helps, you know.  Who knows, could have earned you 9 more pts. on that LSAT, huh?  Here's what I actually said:

Now, you dropped your little bold markers around "Yale isn't difficult to get into at all" while completely ignoring what followed.  You just have to work hard.  In other words, you and you alone are responsible for getting into Yale.

If a circumstance is 99% within your own control, how is that difficult?  It'd be sheer laziness to argue otherwise.

Hey Redemption --

Me?  Because I'm bored and waiting for a phone call to find out if I have to drive to Seattle tonight or tomorrow.

And I liked his attitude at first and the 180/4.0 condescending schtick can be OK if done right.  But he hasn't said anything funny yet, so I am probably going to give up.

redemption

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 07:26:55 PM »
Fair enough, if you were bored. 4/180 and thinks like that? I doubt it.