23 (19%)
No
 66 (54.5%)
Already a member, dumbass!
 17 (14%)
I got a 162!
 15 (12.4%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: So, are you joining mensa?  (Read 33164 times)

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
Re: So, are you joining mensa?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »
you created an account just to f around. i saw what you said on another thread to the person who was a bartender. if i were them that might make me feel bad. that's pretty messed up to be insulting people like that about how they put themselves through college.

stumpythebigmeanfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »
Why?  I honestly believe poor people have no business in college.  American corporations have thrived, in part, because of their proud tradition of nepotism.  Strivers, on the other hand, are usually ego-inflated self-promoters who think that "merit" is remotely related to grubbing.

Specifically to bartenders, I told the poster that serving poison for a living is not something to be proud of.  Kids have put themselves through Stanford dealing cocaine.  Should I applaud them?  No, obviously not.  Why should it be any different when it's alcohol?  Just because a substance is legal doesn't mean you make a living selling it.  I would say the same to people who sell assault rifles.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 06:11:58 PM »
 well you obviously have some very warped views. i dont think many people on this board would agree that being a bartender through college is something to look down upon. however, i dont care to write anything more because i would bet that you dont really feel that way. you just created your account very recently in order to post controversial comments and insult people.

mjb

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
In my experiences it seems that the unsuccessful who have menial jobs or lack of an intellectually stimulating career join mensa in order to say "hey look im really smart... i promise!". I don't think I had a single professor in college who was part of mensa, and if they were they kept it quiet:).

stumpythebigmeanfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
well you obviously have some very warped views. i dont think many people on this board would agree that being a bartender through college is something to look down upon. however, i dont care to write anything more because i would bet that you dont really feel that way. you just created your account very recently in order to post controversial comments and insult people.

Yeah, wow, you'll make a top-notch lawyer.  First, you start off by begging the question.  My views aren't warped at all.  On the nepotism point, there was an Atlantic Monthly article on this very same point a year or so back.  You also haven't answered the question: should a crack dealer who puts himself through college be commended?  No.  I don't see why any other drug dealer should. 

Failing that, you then appeal to an anonymous majority.  First off, whatever.  Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true.  Second, I don't know what the average poster may/may not believe (not that that matters); you just throw out a completely warrantless claim and palm that off as some sort of justification. 

In this case, I actually do believe what I'm saying.  However, you're not preparing very well for a career in law if you expect that every argument has to be founded on personal conviction.  I feel sorry for your clients, especially since you quit so easily.  See how long you survive with that kind of attitude.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 06:26:33 PM »
i didn't quit stumpy. i just don't happen to be one of the few people that use this board for arguing and attacking other posters. we have our whole lives/careers to do that. and yes, if you truly do feel that way then you did make some good points. but i still think what you said to the other poster (and me) was wrong. i just dont have the time to write long annoying posts while im at work actually doing something.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »
This is sort of on-topic.  Did anyone see the Apprentice last night?  I have never watched, but there was some guy who mentioned his Mensa membership in about his first 30 seconds of face time.  Trump made him a team leader and they promoted Sam's Club by giving out empty gift bags.  He did not come across well, made two total enemies, and would have gotten fired for sure except this one gal could not keep her mouth shut and kept interrupting Trump while he was telling Mensa-boy  what an idiot he was.  I would bet that Mensa applications drop, but probably nobody smart enough to be in Mensa is watching the apprentice in the first place.

Side note: You think trying to get into Yale is hard?  The Apprentice had a million app's for 18 spots.  And they still made some questionable picks, IMHO.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »
i cant believe it has started again already. i never saw a single commercial for it! and i totally missed it. sigh.

stumpythebigmeanfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 06:33:46 PM »
i didn't quit stumpy. i just don't happen to be one of the few people that use this board for arguing and attacking other posters. we have our whole lives/careers to do that. and yes, if you truly do feel that way then you did make some good points. but i still think what you said to the other poster (and me) was wrong. i just dont have the time to write long annoying posts while im at work actually doing something.

Fair enough.  We agree to disagree.

This is sort of on-topic.  Did anyone see the Apprentice last night?  I have never watched, but there was some guy who mentioned his Mensa membership in about his first 30 seconds of face time.  Trump made him a team leader and they promoted Sam's Club by giving out empty gift bags.  He did not come across well, made two total enemies, and would have gotten fired for sure except this one gal could not keep her mouth shut and kept interrupting Trump while he was telling Mensa-boy  what an idiot he was.  I would bet that Mensa applications drop, but probably nobody smart enough to be in Mensa is watching the apprentice in the first place.

Side note: You think trying to get into Yale is hard?  The Apprentice had a million app's for 18 spots.  And they still made some questionable picks, IMHO.

Yes, Mensa is not particularly prestigious.  Yale isn't difficult to get into at all.  You just have to work hard.  And once you're there, it's worth it--the rest of the ride is catered.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 06:36:30 PM »
I have never watched before, but I was flipping channels and saw it was the season premier.  As soon as Mensa-boy opened his mouth and started talking about how his I.Q. was in the top 2% you could pretty much tell he was clueless.  In general the people seem pretty impressive - Harvard B School for one - but this guy "had no common sense" as Trump put it.

I am guessing they will have reruns for you!