Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Preview  (Read 2361 times)

MMF

• View Profile
    • Email
Law Preview
« on: April 27, 2004, 01:21:03 PM »
Has anyone done this - or plan to? Any input on its usefulness??

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email

CaliforniaLaw

• View Profile
Re: Law Preview
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 01:54:25 PM »
I have signed up for the LA early session (June 7-12).  It's the only one I can make it to since I will be out of the country for the rest of the summer.  There is a $100 rebate for each person you recommed to Law Preview that ends up taking their course.

Some people are taking Bar/Bri.  You may want to check that out. 

I have talked to several law students and law grads.  All said they wished they had taken a prep course in the summer before law school.  Some incoming 1L on this board have cited the cost ($1000 or more) as one factor as to why they wouldn't do it.  They feel they can prep themselves with books such as Law Planet II, Law School Confidential, etc.  I would disagree.  Nothing can replace classroom instruction.  Real law professors giving me their perspective as to what is important in torts, civ. pro., etc. and what to expect in my 1L would be an advantage entering law school.  The LA early session have profs from USC and UCLA.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 01:56:12 PM »
There is very little they can actually teach you in a week. It's much too expensive for the amount of instruction you really get. Better to buy your own books for a couple hundred bucks and study from those, you will be much better prepared that way.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 02:00:06 PM »
I agree. These prep courses are a money making business. I don't think that a single week of knowledge transfer will help in the long run. Self study will more likely be the better (and cheaper) choice.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sosua

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 02:08:31 PM »
I'm torn on this; I don't think I'll get too much help, but I also don't know if I have the intestinal fortitude to study my butt off over the summer without something looming over me.  Plus, I really don't want to spend $1000.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 02:14:06 PM »
Don't forget it is also possible to do well in law school without either going to law preview OR studying over the summer. A little harder, but possible. In fact I doubt most of our classmates will have done anything to prepare--although I'm sure it depends which school you go to.

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 10:38:48 AM »
I am considering Law Preview.  I disagree that the cost is "too high."  Ignoring the Econ argument on supply and demand, I simply consider the value of exposure:

Assuming 40 hours of instruction, which is only 8 hrs/day for 5 days, $1,000 breaks down to $25/hr to get info from people who could charge $100 - $500 / hr for their time elsewhwre.  (If they offer more then 40 hours, you value only gets higher.)  I realize that this is slightly misleading due to the fact that you are in a class and not one-on-one, but it should be considered.

Anyone know what the class sizes are in these things?
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland