Law School Discussion

3rd LOR to pull me out of waitlist?

3rd LOR to pull me out of waitlist?
« on: January 01, 2005, 10:13:48 PM »
Here is my situation. I have finished my application in the beginning of Nov. I've already sent in 2 LORs and got some admissions.

But after being deferred by some schools, I recently requested and got a 3rd LOR. The letter will be send to LSAC soon.

My question is, can I hold the LOR at the LSAC, so I can later send it to schools that deferred me or put me on the waitlist? Hoping that my original two letters will at least get me to the waitlist and the additional letter will pull me out of the waitlist.

Or do you suggest me let LSAC send the letter to every school? Showing the schools everything I have and hope for the best?

Re: 3rd LOR to pull me out of waitlist?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 10:32:48 PM »
You can specify which schools you want the 3rd one sent to, which is what I've done for when my 3rd letter of rec comes in. If another school waitlists or defers you at a later date, you can probably just add the 3rd rec to be sent to that school, as well.

Some unsolicited advice: I would think twice before sending a 3rd rec to get me off the waitlist or deferred unless I KNEW that rec said something different than the other two. A lot of schools feel like recs aren't really that helpful, especially if an applicant has sent a few recs that really don't add anything to the overall picture. If the letter doesn't really add any new, better information, the schools could feel you are wasting their time in sending unnecessary materials.

If it's not too late, I would send the 3rd recommender some info about what you need the 3rd rec to reveal about you. I did this for all my recommendations, and none of the recommenders seemed to mind. I told one that I mainly needed them to talk about my academic skills and also gave her some personal info, and I asked another recommender who I knew could say different things about me than others.

If I got waitlisted/deferred, I would send a letter of interest, explaining why I'm interested in that school and showing why I'm a good fit with them. Make sure your writing/logical skills are excellent in this letter.

Re: 3rd LOR to pull me out of waitlist?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 12:52:02 AM »
Thanks musicalones123. That is exactly the information I am looking for. I plan to "inactivate" the 3rd letter once LSAC recieved it (still figuring out how). And then I will direct the letter to schools that accept up to 3 LORs but have not made a decision and schools that have deferred/waitlisted me.

The letter of interest is also a good idea. Although I have already specified each of my personal statements for each school, doing some more research shouldn't hurt my chance.