Law School Discussion

Learning Disability??

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
Learning Disability??
« on: January 01, 2005, 09:57:43 PM »
Just curious how many applicants out there and their experiences? I am not sure if this is the right place to post either...
I have about 90 pages that certify that I am 'special' but I didn't get the dx until late in high school b/c I was the only kid they ever had in AP sciences but remedial math....anyway, I am 26 now and was always able to compensate for my disabilty but college bit me in ass (b/c stubborn me really thought I didn't need to tell my school about it) but I still managed great grades (for my school at least) after one bad semester ( my undergrad advisor put me in advanced science classes that I was the only frosh in...such a great plan) and my lsast score is really bad. The lsat bastards shot down my request for accommodations b/c my documentation stressed the math issue (it was there to juxtapose it with my success in sciences etc...) Anyway, I want to hear what 'special' folks like us do....I wrote an addendum about my experience but I don't think lsat scores should be my barrier to a T-2 law school. I was always a strong student (minus a few bad ideas in college...yeah 8 am calc...) Ok...Thanks!

Re: Learning Disability??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 02:46:03 PM »
Hey...I'm an LD kid, too.  My experiences are different from yours, however.  I was a preemie baby (only 2 pounds) and was supposed to have cerebal palsy and be subject to blindness. Thank goodness, since I went through therapies since birth..I am "normal."  The only obstacle I face is LD.  I have a processing disability which makes the LSAT nearly impossible (the lsat is a processing test).  My documentation goes back until birth, so I had an easier time getting accomodations, but quite frankly, this was not enough.  Personally and having lived with LD for my entire life, I do not think that the LSAT is indicative of my capabilities ( or anyone else that has LD)...and that is what I wrote my addendum on.  If you have a strong GPA, this will probably help your case (especially if you have a processing disability).  I'm applying with a 150 LSAT, and sadly, that score was a result of 5 months of studying..but it was what I had to do.  SO far I havent heard from any schools, but I'm hoping they see past my score and realize that I can make it through law school.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Let me know how it goes for you, too.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 03:00:13 PM »
P.S. all the best of luck to you :)
also put a positive spin on your addendum, prove to them that you can do it, since you have learned how to work with your disability.

Ryon

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 03:26:32 PM »
I am LD too.  However, I was not formally tested until sophmore year of college.  Mine is a visual processing problem.  My grades in high school were all A's and B's, then freshman and sophmore year in college I was averaging around a 2.0.  After testing, and pursuant to work with an educational therapist, my average GPA for my final two years rose to a 3.8.  My overall GPA was only a 2.8 which definitely is going to hurt me in the application process.  I was able to do fairly well on the LSAT  and scored a 166.  I just made sure to include references to my LD in my personal statement and/or in my transcript addendum.  Best of luck.

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »
I am so glad to hear these stories, I was getting so discouraged. I wish I could get a  166. I have many processing disabilities and super duper ADHD which I finally decided to get treatment for last year (which makes my life alot easier) I wrote an addenda explaining I can exceed  my lsat score and my college transcripct demonstrates this. Its just been such a fight with lsac and I don't need untimed but a few extra min. wouldn't hurt either. I am hoping a good p.s and my addenda will overcome my numeric status. I also sent in all my documentation to show that I did study for six months but my score does not reflect that. Anyway, keep the stories coming and hopefully soon I will have good news to share here :-)