Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Learning Disability??  (Read 683 times)

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
Learning Disability??
« on: January 01, 2005, 11:57:43 PM »
Just curious how many applicants out there and their experiences? I am not sure if this is the right place to post either...
I have about 90 pages that certify that I am 'special' but I didn't get the dx until late in high school b/c I was the only kid they ever had in AP sciences but remedial math....anyway, I am 26 now and was always able to compensate for my disabilty but college bit me in ass (b/c stubborn me really thought I didn't need to tell my school about it) but I still managed great grades (for my school at least) after one bad semester ( my undergrad advisor put me in advanced science classes that I was the only frosh in...such a great plan) and my lsast score is really bad. The lsat bastards shot down my request for accommodations b/c my documentation stressed the math issue (it was there to juxtapose it with my success in sciences etc...) Anyway, I want to hear what 'special' folks like us do....I wrote an addendum about my experience but I don't think lsat scores should be my barrier to a T-2 law school. I was always a strong student (minus a few bad ideas in college...yeah 8 am calc...) Ok...Thanks!

c/o2008chick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Learning Disability??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 04:46:03 PM »
Hey...I'm an LD kid, too.  My experiences are different from yours, however.  I was a preemie baby (only 2 pounds) and was supposed to have cerebal palsy and be subject to blindness. Thank goodness, since I went through therapies since birth..I am "normal."  The only obstacle I face is LD.  I have a processing disability which makes the LSAT nearly impossible (the lsat is a processing test).  My documentation goes back until birth, so I had an easier time getting accomodations, but quite frankly, this was not enough.  Personally and having lived with LD for my entire life, I do not think that the LSAT is indicative of my capabilities ( or anyone else that has LD)...and that is what I wrote my addendum on.  If you have a strong GPA, this will probably help your case (especially if you have a processing disability).  I'm applying with a 150 LSAT, and sadly, that score was a result of 5 months of studying..but it was what I had to do.  SO far I havent heard from any schools, but I'm hoping they see past my score and realize that I can make it through law school.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Let me know how it goes for you, too.
Fairfield U. B.A. Sociology, American Studies
graduating this May! attending seton hall this summer for leo..and hopefully matriculating in the fall!

c/o2008chick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 05:00:13 PM »
P.S. all the best of luck to you :)
also put a positive spin on your addendum, prove to them that you can do it, since you have learned how to work with your disability.
Fairfield U. B.A. Sociology, American Studies
graduating this May! attending seton hall this summer for leo..and hopefully matriculating in the fall!

Ryon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »
I am LD too.  However, I was not formally tested until sophmore year of college.  Mine is a visual processing problem.  My grades in high school were all A's and B's, then freshman and sophmore year in college I was averaging around a 2.0.  After testing, and pursuant to work with an educational therapist, my average GPA for my final two years rose to a 3.8.  My overall GPA was only a 2.8 which definitely is going to hurt me in the application process.  I was able to do fairly well on the LSAT  and scored a 166.  I just made sure to include references to my LD in my personal statement and/or in my transcript addendum.  Best of luck.

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 05:50:39 PM »
I am so glad to hear these stories, I was getting so discouraged. I wish I could get a  166. I have many processing disabilities and super duper ADHD which I finally decided to get treatment for last year (which makes my life alot easier) I wrote an addenda explaining I can exceed  my lsat score and my college transcripct demonstrates this. Its just been such a fight with lsac and I don't need untimed but a few extra min. wouldn't hurt either. I am hoping a good p.s and my addenda will overcome my numeric status. I also sent in all my documentation to show that I did study for six months but my score does not reflect that. Anyway, keep the stories coming and hopefully soon I will have good news to share here :-)