Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: letters from distinguished alumni?  (Read 2471 times)

eclecteaux

• View Profile
letters from distinguished alumni?
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:42:20 PM »
Anyone know if letters of recommendation from distinguished alumni carry any weight with law school admission committees?

I'm on the waitlist at a law school from which several friend's parents graduated, some of whom are high profile attorneys/business people. These folks have known me a long time and would gladly write me a letter. But they relationship is pure friendship...I've never worked for or been taught by any of them.

I figure it's a "can't hurt" scenario...would people agree?

jgomez

Re: letters from distinguished alumni?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 12:55:33 PM »
i can't see it hurting either but what are they going to write?  i mean, if you never worked with them or been taught by them, are they going to write about, your character, dedication, hard work,  by association? 

eclecteaux

• View Profile
Re: letters from distinguished alumni?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 01:11:49 PM »
I would imagine they'd write on issues of character and personality...perhaps mention items on my resume that they feel make me an attractive candidate. But I figure the real net effect of the letter on an admissions committee is receiving a recommendation not only from one of their own, but also from someone they'd like to cultivate as a potential internship/job supplier, donor, or adjunct faculty.