Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT addendum  (Read 856 times)

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gummibearz
    • View Profile
    • Email
LSAT addendum
« on: January 01, 2005, 09:37:48 PM »
I got a 155 in Oct, and then a 167 in Dec.  Truthfully, I don't know why I did so badly in Oct.  In practice tests I had been scoring around 164-168. The only thing I think it could be is that I burned myself out studying all day everyday, and then by the time I took the test I bombed.  For 3 weeks then, I didn't look at the LSAT, (assuming I did better than I did).  And then when I got my score, I began studying but not as much as the first time, just enough to keep my skills fresh. 

Anyways, should I address this in an addendum or let the numbers speak for themselves?
Attending:  Tulane, Class of 2008!

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT addendum
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »
This is what I've written so far.  Any advice or comments would be great.  Thanks.

I would like to petition the admission’s committee to solely consider my December 2004 LSAT score when making their decision about my application. 
   My October score is not reflective of my ability.  Before the test I was consistently scoring in the range of 165-170 on previous LSATs.  However, as I spent all of my spare time studying for the test, I believe I overexerted myself and essentially “burned out,” which may help explain my poor performance on the October exam.
   For the December exam, I learned to study enough to keep the skills I learned fresh in my mind, but not so much to affect my ability to perform. 

Everyman

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
Maybe consider taking the Feb and scoring well, then sending those scores in later, to show that the earlier score was really an anomaly.

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 10:18:47 PM »
If it were me, I'd say nothing.  The committee is going to make whatever conclusion they want to, regardless of what you say.  I think unless there was something out of the ordinary that happened to you, that nothing should be said.  Just my opnion, though!

Hilarity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »
I have a different reaction than either of the two people who have responded thus far.  First, I don't think you should take the LSAT again in Feb.  Three scores really seems like over kill.  You redeemed yourself with the 167.  Personally, if I were an AdComm (granted, I'm NOT), I would want to read the applicant's input about anything that raised an eyebrow, and your discrepancy definitely does.  I like your addendum.  I'd send it.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
i think that the LSAT addendum is a difficult task.  i am not sure what schools even consider valid reasons.. i guess if your mother died the day before, than obviously this could cause a poor performance, but not sure why that person wouldn't reschedule.  I would definitely write something regarding the 12 point difference, but i am not sure how the adcoms would view a reason such as "burnout".  i think it is a valid reason and could definitely cause problems on test day, but i would be curious on how they would view it.

i do think that it won't make much difference for the explanation, some schools claim they always average, some always take the highest, and other seems to look at high, low, and average and make something out of that.

i do think you should make some sort of statement since most schools will want this when looking at the scores.

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 12:59:33 AM »
thanks for the input.

i get alot of mixed answers when i ask this question.  some say not to send anything, some say i should address it.  if i don't use the burnout reason, i really have nothing else to say.   i am worried about how the adcoms will take it, but sometimes i also think that they'll just want some sort of explanation to glance at. 

however, do u think it reflects poorly on me, that i 'burned out' so easily?

Foot Fetish

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 01:10:48 AM »
I got a 155 in Oct, and then a 167 in Dec.  Truthfully, I don't know why I did so badly in Oct.  In practice tests I had been scoring around 164-168. The only thing I think it could be is that I burned myself out studying all day everyday, and then by the time I took the test I bombed.  For 3 weeks then, I didn't look at the LSAT, (assuming I did better than I did).  And then when I got my score, I began studying but not as much as the first time, just enough to keep my skills fresh. 

Anyways, should I address this in an addendum or let the numbers speak for themselves?

How each school handles multiple LSAT scores is spelled out in black and white.  I very much doubt they will deviate from a process that's already in place.  I think most schools average.  Some schools will throw out the low score if there is a difference of more than X number of points.  Some only take the high score.

superhero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 02:51:24 AM »
This is what I've written so far.  Any advice or comments would be great.  Thanks.

...However, as I spent all of my spare time studying for the test, I believe I overexerted myself and essentially “burned out,” which may help explain my poor performance on the October exam...

Keep away from ever using the term "burned out" within a law school application, especially when referring to one's self.  If you feel that you really need to use the term, go ahead and also attach a GPA addendum with the phrase "drunken-haze".

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 02:54:53 AM »
most schools explicitly state that they want an explanation for any significant score differences(probably 7+ point change).