Law School Discussion

Taking LSAT in June 05

kaest4

• If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taking LSAT in June 05
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 04:08:13 PM »
Hey Christy-

Girl aim higher- I am aiming for at least 165, I have just started to study- and your gpa is stronger then mine (working on bringing it up to at least a 3.5). I live in Orlando, it just takes practice- I am also taking the exam in June. You have your Personal statement done- I just figured out what I am going to write about today.  I am also a black female and so far my choices are:

Marquette, Tulane, Mich. state, GW and the University of GA-

Really aim higher- You deserve it.  Keep in touch
Thank you for the encouragement. It is so hard to stay focused, I have 3 children, 3, 13, and 17, plus a bad marriage that I am working on trying to dissolve. I cannot afford any distractions. Not to mention I work PT and teach nursing classes FT. I am busy, but I am willing to relocate for school.

You are a busy person, but think of the future - and how nice it will be to be a lawyer- All the hard work and stress will be worth it. When you want something bad enough- we find ways to make it happen- :)

Karen

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
Hey Christy-

Girl aim higher- I am aiming for at least 165, I have just started to study- and your gpa is stronger then mine (working on bringing it up to at least a 3.5). I live in Orlando, it just takes practice- I am also taking the exam in June. You have your Personal statement done- I just figured out what I am going to write about today.  I am also a black female and so far my choices are:

Marquette, Tulane, Mich. state, GW and the University of GA-

Really aim higher- You deserve it.  Keep in touch
Thank you for the encouragement. It is so hard to stay focused, I have 3 children, 3, 13, and 17, plus a bad marriage that I am working on trying to dissolve. I cannot afford any distractions. Not to mention I work PT and teach nursing classes FT. I am busy, but I am willing to relocate for school.

You are a busy person, but think of the future - and how nice it will be to be a lawyer- All the hard work and stress will be worth it. When you want something bad enough- we find ways to make it happen- :)

Karen
Aw Yes the future. How I welcome it. All of the sacrifice will certainly be worth it. This LSD is a great resource for information. Thanks for all of your kind words.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 08:27:51 PM »
Hey Karen, I just want to give you a quick heads up...

I ended up taking the TM full length class (I saved the money for quite a while, these things are expensive!) but I'd say it was worth it.  You can definitely get a good score on your own, but the self discipline this would require, what with job/family is a bit much for me.

Just wanted to let you know so it wasn't a surprise when you start looking into these things.

Sgee44

• AOL Instant Messenger - sgee44
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
If you guys are looking for more study materials I would also suggest buying Kaplan's  LSAT 180 book.  It has a combination of killer games, logicical reasoning questions and reading comp.  They present you with the hardest problems so that you can be prepared for anything.  i think it costs around $35.00 and you can find it at any major bookstore.  Good Luck!

kaest4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 06:40:43 PM »
If you guys are looking for more study materials I would also suggest buying Kaplan's  LSAT 180 book.  It has a combination of killer games, logicical reasoning questions and reading comp.  They present you with the hardest problems so that you can be prepared for anything.  i think it costs around $35.00 and you can find it at any major bookstore.  Good Luck!

Thanks- I will look for it this weekend when I am out

Karen

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 11:33:20 PM »
Hey Christy,
  Just wanted to let you know that the discipline is the hardest first step, in the beginning I found myself distracted and bored easily.

But, the intresting thing is once I got enveloped, it was amazing to me how much time I could spend there.  I had myself trained by the end not to even notice that 5 hrs had gone by doing a test and studying, except maybe that my but hurt...

Um, main advice, in the beginning give yourself little goals that you know are within achieving means.  something to the effect, i'm going to study till i understand these 5 LR strategies, and i'm going to do at least one timed practice section...

then after that's under control, what i did is moved up to bigger goals, more strategies to review and/or more timed sections to take....

once you have a couple of strategies under your belt it will be smooth sailing. 

just dont give up on the consistency of the studying!!  I know you'll keep getting better and better scores :o)

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 03:26:24 PM »
Hey Christy,
  Just wanted to let you know that the discipline is the hardest first step, in the beginning I found myself distracted and bored easily.

But, the intresting thing is once I got enveloped, it was amazing to me how much time I could spend there.  I had myself trained by the end not to even notice that 5 hrs had gone by doing a test and studying, except maybe that my but hurt...

Um, main advice, in the beginning give yourself little goals that you know are within achieving means.  something to the effect, i'm going to study till i understand these 5 LR strategies, and i'm going to do at least one timed practice section...

then after that's under control, what i did is moved up to bigger goals, more strategies to review and/or more timed sections to take....

once you have a couple of strategies under your belt it will be smooth sailing. 

just dont give up on the consistency of the studying!!  I know you'll keep getting better and better scores :o)
Filia, you have no idea how I appreciate this advice. I was wondering how I was going to discipline myself enough to do this, but you have helped me with a strategy. Thank you so very much for your input, believe me,  I listen to everyone's advice and it is a big help. Thank again.

klasyk gyrl

• Chapter 6 of the LRB f'd me up!
    • MSN Messenger - klasykgyrl
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klasykgyrl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - klasykgyrl
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 04:16:25 PM »
i'm also planning on taking lsat in june. i bought the barron's book and i was told that it was crap. from more than one person. i guess the questions are made up and other books use real questions from past lsat's. i also hear that kaplan is crap and testmasters is good.

kaest4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 07:10:18 PM »
Hey Christy? How is the studying going? School is here is driving me crazy-lol need to pick up the lsat studying have slacked in the last couple of weeks, but need to get back to it.

Just wanted to say hello

Karen

Burhop

• Editor and freelance Writer
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 03:24:54 PM »
Hey, I'm taking the June LSAT as well!

I started studying in December, and just took a full simulated LSAT offered by Kaplan for free at my school. If you go to Kaplan's website, you can see if there are any free simulations in your area. They didn't try to sell me anything and I'll get to see what my score "would have been," which I think in invaluable.

One of the best tips I've gotten so far, LSAT-wise, is that "a point is a point." It's best to concentrate most on the areas where you stand to gain the most, instead of beating yourself up about areas where you're not making as much headway. You do want to studying *everything*, but here's what I learned from my test simulation: by focusing so hard on logic games, I did better on that section than I'd expected, but I also fried my brain, thus screwing me up for the next section.

I think it's all about test stamina, baby. And strategizing. Focus on each section individually, and look at that section score separately. Then, decide what the "maximum score" you think you could get for that section would be, and aim for that. Thinking about the "big picture" score at this point in the game might just serve to psych you out, you know?

best of luck,

Dani