[deleted]
« on: December 31, 2004, 05:32:29 PM »
[deleted]

S.J.

• That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
Re: stop the lunacy!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 07:58:15 PM »
Q -- you're saying you did better because you were sick?  I'm confused. 

Sgee44

• AOL Instant Messenger - sgee44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 02:37:46 AM »
You're absolutely correct about the board.  It can definitley hurt more than it helps.  I was ready to cancel my score after reading some posts.  And even when i got my score I would catch myself feeling inadequate at times. 

task

• The emails! The emails!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 11:48:20 AM »
  Honestly, I'm just happy that someone else feels this way. It can certainly be quite discouraging to read the posts on this board and see how you measure up. In fact, it takes me back to high school when I was constantly comparing grades with my friends and, later on, SAT scores. I'm sure everyone can remember how that felt...

Friend: "Oh my god, I got like a 1450. I feel so freaking stupid."
 Me (under my breath): "Well I only got a 1410."
 AKWARD, EMBARESSED SILENCE. 

However, I do think that it's great that everyone is here, because I find the conversations helpful and inspiring. You know, there is nothing wrong with a little competition  ;D. Just take everything with a grain of salt and work to your own capabilities. 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »
I agree with the original post pretty much, but what I'm wondering is why everybody lists their numbers so readily. 

I mean, I suppose it shouldn't be any huge secret, but people fixate way too much on numbers... not enough on the 20 or 30 percent of the apps that can't be shoved into LSAT/GPA. 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 07:04:24 PM »
Oh... I guess that makes sense.  But it's weird... I haven't discussed numbers with my friends or family even (for the most part).

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 07:10:38 PM »
Sleepy I think in many of the recent conversations we have seen/had numbers are irrelevant, but when discussing schools to apply to, acceptances, waitlists, etc, I find the numbers very helpful.  It gives me an idea of my chances at various schools.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 07:34:47 PM »
Sleepy I think in many of the recent conversations we have seen/had numbers are irrelevant, but when discussing schools to apply to, acceptances, waitlists, etc, I find the numbers very helpful.  It gives me an idea of my chances at various schools.

I think the numbers can be helpful, but just as easily can pull us further into a group-think (like what the original post said), in that we begin to think that numbers are all that matters -- we tend to ignore non-quantitative factors that law schools don't ignore.  If we were able to talk about those non-quantitative factors it would help us in our apps.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 10:34:45 PM »
I think it is all about perspective.  If you are on the top of one mountain you see a higher peak than those that are at the bottom of the mountain you are standing on.  I have friends who would die to get into schools that I wouldn't even think about applying to because they are such huge safeties for me.  I am completely content with my score it was right on par with my practice tests it in fact tied my highest practice test score.  I cancelled in October and was thankful that I did when scores came out. I can see why people get frustrated with people with relatively high scores who complain about them, but you have to understand that it is the same for a person who is averaging a 179 on practices to get a 170 as it is for someone who averages 159 to get a 150.  If you get lower than you had been on your practice tests you are disappointed.