Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: madison vs. chicago-kent/depaul/loyola  (Read 1308 times)

ilsox7

Re: madison vs. chicago-kent/depaul/loyola
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 07:51:32 PM »
wait..what new building is loyola getting? for classes or do u mean the new downtown housing?

In my acceptance letter Loyola said a new class building was on the way and new graduate housing should be ready, across the street from the LS, in August 2006.  Also, a new dean is being hired.

Haz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »
Argh there is really nothing definitive here to aid my decision. I've just about reached the point of flipping a coin to decide.
Hello Wisconsin!

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 07:43:43 PM »
My $0.02 (if it's worth even that-- I'm not applying this cycle): Go to Madison.  I think Chicago is a 1-1.5 hr drive away, it is a very natural market for grads and summer associates.  And while you may now be certain of your desire to work in Chicago post-graduation, you never know what your future will bring.  Suppose in 20 years your spouse needs to move to DC for work?  Or Cali?  My guess is that your Wiscsonisn degree would be significantly more portable than a degree from one of the Chicago schools. I know that it shouldn't really make a difference where your degree is from after you've been out so long, but I think that in many cases it does.

ilsox7

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 07:45:33 PM »
Just an FYI: Madison is approximately 2.5 hours from Chicago.

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »

Ah, you're right.  (Mapquest says 2hrs 27min).  They do *seem* a lot closer.

AgentRHE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »
My $0.02 (if it's worth even that-- I'm not applying this cycle): Go to Madison.  I think Chicago is a 1-1.5 hr drive away, it is a very natural market for grads and summer associates.  And while you may now be certain of your desire to work in Chicago post-graduation, you never know what your future will bring.  Suppose in 20 years your spouse needs to move to DC for work?  Or Cali?  My guess is that your Wiscsonisn degree would be significantly more portable than a degree from one of the Chicago schools. I know that it shouldn't really make a difference where your degree is from after you've been out so long, but I think that in many cases it does.

That's exactly the way I'm looking at it.
Attending: Wisconsin

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 09:48:49 PM »

Ah, you're right.  (Mapquest says 2hrs 27min).  They do *seem* a lot closer.

that's because chicagoland extends practically to rockford, for christ's sake. I can lean out of my window in madison on sunday and spit on cars in a soldier field park-and-ride. :)
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

eskillen1981

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 10:10:59 PM »
OK... so to make things more complicated.. here is my dillemna... I grew up in Chicago but have been in cali since college.... I don't know whether I want to live in cali or chicago after law school (family in chicago BUT love cali).  So my dillemna is that I got almost a full ride to kent where i could live at home and barely be in debt when i come out--- or I could go to madison which is ranked better and possibly come back out to cali later-- third option i guess would be hastings, but i am not sure if i go to hastings if my degree would be that transferrable to the chicago market--- I think i want to practice environmental law/ land use planning if that makes a difference in making my decision (kent and wisconsin both have great environmental law programs)

Which school would be the most transferrable in both the cali/chicago market???? 

Haz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 11:01:36 PM »
My $0.02 (if it's worth even that-- I'm not applying this cycle): Go to Madison. I think Chicago is a 1-1.5 hr drive away, it is a very natural market for grads and summer associates. And while you may now be certain of your desire to work in Chicago post-graduation, you never know what your future will bring. Suppose in 20 years your spouse needs to move to DC for work? Or Cali? My guess is that your Wiscsonisn degree would be significantly more portable than a degree from one of the Chicago schools. I know that it shouldn't really make a difference where your degree is from after you've been out so long, but I think that in many cases it does.

Thats great advice and it never occurred to me til you mentioned it, thanks.
Hello Wisconsin!

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 12:53:33 AM »
OK... so to make things more complicated.. here is my dillemna... I grew up in Chicago but have been in cali since college.... I don't know whether I want to live in cali or chicago after law school (family in chicago BUT love cali).  So my dillemna is that I got almost a full ride to kent where i could live at home and barely be in debt when i come out--- or I could go to madison which is ranked better and possibly come back out to cali later-- third option i guess would be hastings, but i am not sure if i go to hastings if my degree would be that transferrable to the chicago market--- I think i want to practice environmental law/ land use planning if that makes a difference in making my decision (kent and wisconsin both have great environmental law programs)

Which school would be the most transferrable in both the cali/chicago market???? 

I think that hastings has a program where you go take environmental law classes at the university of vermont...which is supposed to have a great environmental law prgram.  not sure if that's any interest to u..but just thought i'd throw that out there.