;

Author Topic: DSONG  (Read 1326 times)

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
DSONG
« on: April 27, 2004, 11:30:53 AM »
Dsong,

Where is your thread about raising your score 25 points.  I want to read it.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: DSONG
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 11:36:48 AM »
Thanks again, Dsong.  The info. will help.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 11:38:55 AM »
DSONG, could you explain what you mean about "disecting [articles] into 500 word clumps"?  I have been planning on trying to read a lot more from now until the test, but this method you did sounds like it might really help.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 11:49:25 AM »
for RC, most of the passages range from 450-550 words.  i took journals and just counted the words so that it would be very similar to a RC passage that the lsat will provide.  my method was somewhat makeshift, but i took the first few paragraphs that came close to the 500 word mark and then read them.  i asked my wife to make up questions about them...very specific questions...and then ask me those questions.

i know its a bit different than what the lsats ask, but what i was trying to do was speed up my reading ability while looking for details.  most of the books tell you not to look too much into details, but i tend to disagree because details save you the time of going back and looking at the passage again.  my goal in doing this was to read the passage ONCE, then try to ascertain each question and answer them without going back.  of course, you WILL have to go back, no matter what...BUT, this REALLY REALLY REALLY helped me on 3 things:  1)focusing on the passage, 2)speeding up my reading ability, and 3)ability to comprehend the passages more quickly.

i RC was my mid weak section (i stank at LR and LG came pretty easy for me).  the best thing i did was take a few of these RC passages in real lsats and i just assessed what my main weakness was...and mine was speed.  so i just kept reading and reading 500 word clumps until i got each passage down to about 1.5-2 minutes.  i figured, there are 4 passages, and if you average about 1 min 45 sec per passage, then you yave 7 minutes to answer the questions per section.  when i started, i was averaging about 3-4 minutes a passage because i kept going back trying to focus on the topic. 

one other bit of advice that helped me:  i used signs to mark certain paragraphs. 

for instance: 
- used a (-) minus sign when there was a passage that dealt with a counter or opposing argument; (+) when there was an affirmative argument
- used a checkmark whenever there were specific inferences to people
- underlined all dates (years, time spans, days, etc)
- bracketed the main point [ ]

and i used a few other things that i cant remember off the top of my head. 

i hope this helps clarify...
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 12:03:29 PM »
wow, that was very helpful.  i may try using ur notation system, actually.  now, if i can just get my wife to help...