Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nova Law Book  (Read 1498 times)

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Nova Law Book
« on: April 27, 2004, 11:08:54 AM »
I just bought this book.  Is it the best? 
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

nathanielmark

Re: Nova Law Book
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 11:11:11 AM »
i thought it was the best resource (aside from real LSATs) for LR/RC stuff.

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 11:15:47 AM »
Hi,

This book has been recommended by a lot of users on this forum.  But I wouldn't say there's any best book for LSAT.  It'll depend on things like which sections you're weak at, whether you can implement their tips on actual LSATs..eg..some people doesn't like reading the stem before doing reading the passage (which most prep guides recommend LSAT test takers doing), so you can't say that's not the best book because it's recommending something that doesn't work for you.  However, this book is better than quite a few on the market.  Advantage of this book is that it uses actual (most questions) LSAT questions..unlike questions in other prep guides which are made up by the company themselves.  Some people find this as a weakness because by the time you do the acutual questions in real preptests, you would've seen some of the questions already, and could probably answer them right right away...this would not be the best indication of your score because these are questions you've seen before.  But you could avoid this problem by reading their techniques first, do actual preptests, and then check your answers with the ones Master the LSAT has and see if your explanations coincide with theirs...this would not be time efficient though.

However, in short, yes this book is highly recommended by many people and hopefully, you'll find it useful.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 11:18:30 AM »
LS, actually Nova does not advocate any of these gimmicky tricks you see in Kaplan, PR, etc. they suggest you read the passages first, for both RC and LR.

Hi,

This book has been recommended by a lot of users on this forum.  But I wouldn't say there's any best book for LSAT.  It'll depend on things like which sections you're weak at, whether you can implement their tips on actual LSATs..eg..some people doesn't like reading the stem before doing reading the passage (which most prep guides recommend LSAT test takers doing), so you can't say that's not the best book because it's recommending something that doesn't work for you.  However, this book is better than quite a few on the market.  Advantage of this book is that it uses actual (most questions) LSAT questions..unlike questions in other prep guides which are made up by the company themselves.  Some people find this as a weakness because by the time you do the acutual questions in real preptests, you would've seen some of the questions already, and could probably answer them right right away...this would not be the best indication of your score because these are questions you've seen before.  But you could avoid this problem by reading their techniques first, do actual preptests, and then check your answers with the ones Master the LSAT has and see if your explanations coincide with theirs...this would not be time efficient though.

However, in short, yes this book is highly recommended by many people and hopefully, you'll find it useful.

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »
I like that idea better (reading the passage first).  I believe I waste a lot of time reading the questions and stuff first.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 11:22:32 AM »
Hey, thx for clarifying my message.  I meant that technique has been advocated by a lot of books, I think only 2-3 prep guides recommend reading the passage first.  I was using that as an eg to show how some books may advice you doing something that doesn't suit you, but that doesn't mean they aren't good, just that each person is different.

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 11:24:43 AM »
Should I read the Intro. to Logic by Copi?

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 11:27:42 AM »
i havent read this book, but given the time constraints, i really think you should focus on taking as many real LSATs as you can, take the first 10 untimed, use the LG Bible, Nova book, whatever else to get strategies down, and then start taking timed LSATs.  if you can do all that an still have exceess study time, then consider the book if it seems worthwhile.

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 11:32:06 AM »
Hi,

I agree with Nathan.  But if you're ok with games, I think it'll be appropriate to devote more time to an area where you're weak at.  Reading the book (of course not all because not everything related to logical reasoning is tested on the LSAT)..so focus on the topics that are related...this should give you a good grasp of what LR is all about.  I heard some people say after taking a logic course, they felt they were thinking too much when they did the LSAT...so don't overdo what's beyond required for the exam.  However if time is an issue, just do more practice tests should already help you improve on LR.