Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The fine line between squeaky and obnoxious...  (Read 1619 times)

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
The fine line between squeaky and obnoxious...
« on: April 27, 2004, 09:41:14 AM »
You know the old adage, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."  Well, the school at which I've been WL'd does not discourage contact.  They're very friendly when I call and ask about my status and the progress of the WL.  "Please call whenever you like," and all that...

In the month since I've been waitlisted, I've called twice and sent two letters of continued interest.  I want to make sure I have an edge over other waitlistees who aren't as interested, but I don't want them going, "Oh, lord, it's HER again."  How squeakly do y'all think is too squeaky?  Can a person even be too squeaky?

Thanks for any opinions!
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

younglady

• View Profile
Re: The fine line between squeaky and obnoxious...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 10:20:45 AM »
I think a person can be too squeaky, but you haven't reached that point yet. I had a friend last year who was on a waitlist and called the school about twice a month, and conituned sending more information about himself every couple of weeks. He got off the waitlist during the summer.

If you know an alumni of the school or have a close relationship with a lawyer, you may want to have them send an additional letter of recommendation. I know my friend did that last year and it helped

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 10:54:20 AM »
younglady, thanks for your input!  :)

I guess I have a option, but it's a little sticky.  I have an uncle who went to my school undergrad, and he's offered to "make a call."  However, the school already knows I have family who graduated from there because it was a part of my application, and I very  lightly mentioned it in one of my letters.  Now, if he had graduated from the law school, I'd say maybe; but, he didn't.  I doubt he contributes to any alumni fund (which I have heard can make a difference if it's a considerable amount). 

I've been getting a lot of contradictory advice about using him as leverage.  In everything I've read, I don't think it would make a difference. Of course he would only say nice things about me, so it wouldn't mean much.  Plus, we're not that close, and he's an uncle, not a parent.  I seriously doubt he has any "real" influence, although he claims he's helped people get in there before.  But these people were his colleagues, and he could truly speak to their abilities.  He says the adcomm would question (negatively) why I never asked him to intervene.  I kind of think that's BS.

My first instinct was to respectively decline, and I usually do best with my first instinct.  Am I being naive?  Does anyone think this is this a mistake?

Also, I've been out of undergrad for 6 years, so it's not like I can send them an updated transcript. In my contact with them about my continued interest, I have told them why I would be a great student, why I love their school, why I'd be a good fit, etc.  I don't really have anything new to contribute; all I can say is, "Please please PLEASE!  I love your school, and I know I'd be great there because of x, y, and z."

Not only do I not want to be squeaky, I also don't want to be a broken record...  I guess I'll just suck it up and wait it out for now.

P.S. I forgot another thing: my coworker's spouse is a student at this particular school.  She is on friendly terms with the AdDir, and she has spoken to the Dir on my behalf during this month of waitlisting.  So that was another "squeak" on my app file.
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 12:51:19 PM »
I write another one today explaining how it is my "big dream" to attend their school. I hope I'm not being annoying.  :-\
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 01:00:15 PM »
hey, youre trying to get into a law school.  i dont think being annoying or persistent is part of the criteria.  if anything helps to put your name on the radar, i would consider that a good thing. 

if i were in your shoes, i would write and call on a daily basis just to make sure they know me on a first name basis.  who knows...you might even become friends with the admin people there and give you an advantage. 

i dont have experience with this, but unless someone can refute it, i wouldn't be expecting any rejection letters stating "thank you for your interest, but on the basis that you were annoying as hell, we've decided to reject you from our program.  here is a list of medication you should be taking for your condition"
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:01:33 PM »
My school got my second letter today.  I sent a professional letter reinterating my "serious desire to attend their excellent institution."

But.. I also told them it was my "big dream" to go there, and kind of in a risky way.  I hope that doesn't backfire!  But I figure that at this stage, it couldn't hurt.  May not help, but it sure can't hurt... :)

odes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 01:21:58 PM »
I'm in the same boat as all of you, I'm waitlisted at Wake. After getting waitlisted I visited the school from across the country, met with the admissions director, wrote a continued letter of interest, sent two more recs and an updated transcript. The Director of Admissions emailed me and said that I will know soon about my application status for the school. I'm happy because other people on the waitlist from this discussion board told me that they never got an email. I think I'm at least on their radar...and hopefully not too squeaky.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 01:42:25 PM »
I visited the campus last fall for an Admissions Conference, and got to speak to students, professors, and members of the Office of Admissions (unfortunately, the Director wasn't there that day).  I turned in my app in person (I live in the area).  I thought about asking for an interview, but I fear it would hurt me at this stage.  I don't want the fact that I'm insanely desperate to come across in person.  That probably wouldn't help me much...

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 01:49:45 PM »
I don't want the fact that I'm insanely desperate to come across in person.  That probably wouldn't help me much...

I feel the same way. How do I tell them that I am desperate without telling them? I guess that's where "lawyerly" writing skills are required. After you write your letters and make your phone calls, just remember that it is out of your hands. It is difficult to wait, but we have no other choice. That's why the Hate Board exists... For us to waste time at work and keep our anxiety level down by arguing about stupid topics.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 02:01:55 PM »

I feel the same way. How do I tell them that I am desperate without telling them? I guess that's where "lawyerly" writing skills are required. After you write your letters and make your phone calls, just remember that it is out of your hands. It is difficult to wait, but we have no other choice.

No kidding.  Either they're running to the phone right now to call me, or they're getting a good chuckle at my expense right about now.  Most likely not the former, and I really hope not the latter.  Sigh.

To go back to an earlier post - am I being naive about not pulling out the "uncle card"?  Thanks!