Law School Discussion

Minnesota 1L taking questions

Re: Minnesota 1L taking questions
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2005, 03:46:20 PM »
senor01

Uptown would probably be the most fun if you had a summer associate job. I would try and check the startribune for summer sublets/ roomate wanted stuff

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 12:15:03 PM »
Hi, MondaleHall!

I'm in process of getting to know law schools and admissions process.  I'm planning on applying in 2006.  I have a few questions I hope you can answer..

You mentioned that you're on the older side of the students.  How many non-traditional students do you see there?  I'll be 31 by the time I go to law school.

I'll be an out-of-state applicant when I apply to UMN.  I think I read somewhere that UMN is notorious about filling with MN residents.  In your opinion, how difficult is it for an out-of-state applicant to be admitted?  Also once you're admitted as a non-resident can you become a resident after a year or so?  My family (wife and a dog) will actully be moving there and my wife can transfer her job to Minneapolis wihtin her company.

Incidently, UMN, so far, is my top choice school.  I think I'll even like the cold weather and Twin cities in general.  Right now I live in NYC metro area (Jersey City to be exact) and dying to get of here (go figure  ::) ;D)

Thanks for your response in advance!

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2005, 10:47:59 PM »
I lived in Hoboken for five of my six years working in the city

the median age of students in my class is 24. the age range is something like 20-40 something. you'll be on the older end, for sure, but there are few people here with kids, etc.

UMN notorious for accepting in-staters. Whoever wrote that I think is looking at high percentage of Minnesota residents in the entering class and drawing a poor conclusion. something like 40% percent of UMN students are from Minnesota, but that does not mean that they show a preference for in-staters. It just means that the majority of applicants are from MN. UMN, if anything, would probably lean towards an applicant that would give it some geographic diversity. The school is trying to increase its national reputation, so blocking out non residents would not be a smart way to effect that goal

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 09:51:34 AM »
Thanks MondaleHall for the reply  ;)

Cool, you lived in Hoboken for a while.  Only a stone throw away from where I am.  Used to live in Newport section of Jersey City and moved to a brownstonish apt.  Cheaper and parking is included  :D

It's great to hear that what I heard i not true.  I was a bit worried.  Also did you find it easy/difficult/impossible to become a resident after being admitted as a non-resident?

Thanks!!

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 02:48:06 PM »
I have one more question.  I'm interested in Intellectual property and Patents.  Do you think UMN has a good program?

Thanks again.

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2005, 06:22:53 PM »
It is extremely difficult to gain residency if you do not start out as a resident.

IP, we are not bad...we have an active student IP group and the school supports an IP journal...Most firms do some sort of IP work and there are local companies that need those services (3M, for example)

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2005, 08:52:53 PM »
Thanks MondaleHall for the reply.

Just let me know if I'm bugging to death.

It's nice to hear that UMN has a good IP program.  It looks like UMN is about the only school that has IP only journal.

About the residency, so it is not impossible to obtain residency, just difficult.  Some schools do specify that if you start as a non-resident you will be non-resident no matter what.  I couldn't find that on UMN site.  Do you happen to know what is required to become obtain residency?  I know that it is totally different than residency requirement for voting purposes.

Again thanks for your time and replies.  Much appreciated ;)

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2005, 08:30:43 AM »
there is a small window for you to gain residency after you matriculate...but you need to do a lot. you essentially need to convince them that you are going to stay in Minnesota after you graduate. You probably need to buy a house or an apt as well as other more obvious things. you also need to meet with people within the UMN administration who will gauge your interest in staying in MN long term...so it may boil down to a subjective decision

There is a chance that they may become like the other schools and not allow you to switch at all...

The difference between in state and out of state has been held constant at 10k per year so that is your max savings

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2005, 05:12:46 PM »
online for a bit if there are any qs