Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SUNY Buffalo Application- Book essay  (Read 797 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
SUNY Buffalo Application- Book essay
« on: December 30, 2004, 11:33:11 AM »
Is anyone else applying to SUNY Buffalo Law School? What books did you write about for the required book essay?  How much time did you devote to writing it?  Would 2-3 paragraphs suffice for each book, or should it be at least 1 page?
Fed gov't atty

brooklynman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SUNY Buffalo Application- Book essay
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 11:35:09 AM »
Is anyone else applying to SUNY Buffalo Law School? What books did you write about for the required book essay?  How much time did you devote to writing it?  Would 2-3 paragraphs suffice for each book, or should it be at least 1 page?

I am applying to buffalo and their whole application is annoying the hell out of me. I am still working on the book essays. I think you should stretch it out to at least a page.

jr007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 05:24:58 PM »
I hope I can rewrite that part of the application.  I thought it was a blow off and only wrote a paragraph.  Is it possible to rewrite after you've paid and sent it in?  Do you think it's important if you everything else is good?
Attending: PITT

A226

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »
I didn't apply there but I looked at their app. I love how they say not to write on a book you read for school or a class. First, what if you don't read or have time to read outside of class? Second, how can they really know for sure that you did or did not read it for a class? Their application looks a pain in the ass and it isn't even long.

vickymaz

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 06:05:17 PM »
What if you don't read??  ::)

I didn't apply there but I looked at their app. I love how they say not to write on a book you read for school or a class. First, what if you don't read or have time to read outside of class? Second, how can they really know for sure that you did or did not read it for a class? Their application looks a pain in the ass and it isn't even long.

A226

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 07:37:02 PM »
I'm with you, Vicky. I thought the same thing when I looked at the application ;)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 11:26:51 PM »
I talked to Admissions.  They said 2-3 paragraphs per book is ideal.
Fed gov't atty

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 08:11:11 PM »
The application wasn't too bad, but the essays were a bit out there.... Most schools you can cut and paste from about 3-4 essays and piece together what they are looking for, but with UB they are both unique essays. I think I wrote about a page per book. Thankfully, my latest profession, English teacher in Japan, has given me loads of time to read (that and the all Japanese TV... psycho) so I actually had a hard time narrowing down which books to write about. I chose a trash novel (Laws of our Fathers by Scott Turow, the 1L dude), and Obasan by Joy Kogawa. It's about the internment of Canadians of Japanese ancestry during WW2. The second book wasn't hard to write about, but the first book... "what did you learn from reading it?" It's a book for pure entertainment... It's hard to "learn" something from a book like that.

I haven't heard anything yet but dont' expect to quite yet.... My LSDAS wasn't sent until 12/15

cheers.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 10:00:09 PM »
I hate the people that complain about this essay just like I hate the people that complain about the "Why Penn" essay they neglected to write just before getting their ding at Penn.

People, you're applying to law school.  It's reading and writing.  Get over it.

Second, it's their application, and if you feel put off by it, you're not a match for the school anyhow, so move along.  Somewhere out there, they find not only enough students to write the essays, but enough to do well enough that they accept them, and (gasp), they go on to attend the school.

It's not a book report; it's something to get some insight about your personality.  Of course, that's probably what you're worried about if you're someone who can't be troubled to write a couple of paragraphs.

MJ

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 12:50:20 AM »
othius....are you on the JET Programme?  If so, me too.  I know what you are saying...man, we are getting paid to eat nicely wrapped omiyages and play on the computer...Im not complainin...