Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 30 Year Old Male Applicant - how much do intangibles play into decision?  (Read 3724 times)

ssd2612

• View Profile
Hello, I placed the posting below on the general board and only received a web site link.  I'm hoping to get some further insight from those who have more in common that are going throught the process as older applicants....

I'm a 30 year old white male decided to pursue the law degree that I decided not to pursue after a very mediocre undergrad track record (3.0 GPA, 2.8 LSDAS adjusted?, University of Florida).  I have a very solid resume that includes the sales and management of multi-million dollar projects and management of staff in various businesses with significant legal exposure.  Currently, I am launching a new division of a property/facilities management organization.

In terms of LSAT, I got a 153 in October, which was far below my diagnostic tests.  I retook the test in December and received a 163.  My recommendations are all non-academic from senior level executives that I have either done business with or have worked for.

My objective is practice law in either New York, Florida, or Washington, DC.  Any help that anyone can lend into where they think I may be accepted or rejected will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Year Old Male Applicant - how much do intangibles play into decision?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 11:31:54 AM »
My understanding is that law schools love WE and us 'old' people because we have been exposed to the real world. I have read in my 'How to get into the Top Law School' book (ad nauseum) that schools don't focus so much on our ugpa's b/c well they're not current (unless you just finished a BA/BS) so they look at our LSAT scores (bad news for this camper) but you have good scores and good WE so that would make you a strong candidate at most schools. I would start looking at schools that have a good national reputation if you want mobility or go to school in the city you want to work in. I am from Chicago and you do not have to go to Northwestern to work at a big national firm here but you do have to do well at your school to get the right to interview with them for on-campus recruiting (i.e at John Marshall its usually the top 30% of your class) My friends that are recent law grads all stress the recruiting and alumni network of the school so check that out. Good luck!!

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 11:41:48 AM »
So far, I don't have any personal information to support that WE can make up for a low GPA, as I have yet to get in anywhere :), but I'm hopeful that's the case.  I'm 32, so my (low) GPA is so old it seems ridiculous that it would even matter...but unfortunately, many schools are very numbers-oriented, since maintaining a high median LSAT/GPA helps them in the US News rankings.

As far as where you're likely to get in...again, I can't offer any advice based on personal experience, but I think the general consensus is to have a list of reaches, targets and safeties, with your targets being schools where your LSAT & GPA both at least fall inside the ranges given by each school.  (For your safeties, obviously, you'd want to be above both, if possible.)  I'm only applying in the DC and surrounding areas, so my knowledge of other schools is limited, but you should definitely apply to Catholic in DC.
Attending: W&M

ssd2612

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 11:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I received feedback from another board that it appeared that I was being lazy and asking others to do my HW.  I hope I did not send this impression here. By saying NY, DC and Florida, I thought it was obvious that I was looking at Fordham, Cordoza, Brooklyn, St. John's, American, GW, Miami, UF, Nova, etc.  Being that I'm the only one I know applying right now, it gets difficult to know if you're applying to the right schools when it's possible certain things that are evaluated more for 22 yolds may or may not matter to me.  I was also interested to see if anyone offered a school I should apply to that I may not have considered....

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:57:49 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I received feedback from another board that it appeared that I was being lazy and asking others to do my HW.  I hope I did not send this impression here. By saying NY, DC and Florida, I thought it was obvious that I was looking at Fordham, Cordoza, Brooklyn, St. John's, American, GW, Miami, UF, Nova, etc.  Being that I'm the only one I know applying right now, it gets difficult to know if you're applying to the right schools when it's possible certain things that are evaluated more for 22 yolds may or may not matter to me.  I was also interested to see if anyone offered a school I should apply to that I may not have considered....

No, I totally understand. It is hard doing all of this in somewhat of an information vacuum!  This process would've been a lot easier as an undergrad, with advisors to help you and peers going through it all as well. This site has been really helpful to me over the past month or two - wish I'd found it a lot sooner.  (Although it can be discouraging to read all these posts from people with 176 LSATs and 3.9's, worrying about how they'll choose between Harvard and Yale!)  :D  Just have to keep in mind that this site isn't an accurate snapshot of the entire applicant pool in that regard - we're still better off than many - but it's good for a lot of info.  Have you found www.lawschoolnumbers.com yet?  If not, check it out - it's self-explanatory once you look around a bit, and really interesting (even if, again, not an accurate picture of the overall admissions scenario.) 

Anyway - I've applied to all the "obvious" DC schools.  I have a 3.14 and 164, and with my GPA, I consider GW a real reach, and even American might be tough.  Again, this all depends on whether they're willing to toss out my ten-year-old undergrad grades and see me for the adult I am today...so who knows.  I can hope! :)

ssd2612

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 12:02:14 PM »
Thanks, I feel the exact same way that you do. I just found this site and lawschoolnumbers.  Reading all of these boards makes it feel like I'm not going to get in anywhere, but we'll see. 

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »
If you are looking in Philly, Temple is a better fit for older students than 'Nova, or so I have heard (from a Temple alum and his wife, a 'Nova alum).

ssd2612

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:09:17 PM »
Sorry, I meant Nova Southeastern in South Florida, but thank you anyway.  I recognize that I'm going to have a difficult time getting into a program with a national reputation, so i'm trying to stick in markets where I want to practice after school.

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 12:10:33 PM »
Thanks, I feel the exact same way that you do. I just found this site and lawschoolnumbers.  Reading all of these boards makes it feel like I'm not going to get in anywhere, but we'll see. 

I know, I seem to swing back and forth from one day to the next - one day thinking, "Of course GW would want me, my LSAT's in their range, and I've heard they like older applicants with WE!" and the next thinking, "God, my GPA sucks, I'm gonna get rejected everywhere I applied, even my safeties!"  I'm sure that's normal though. :)  My philosophy with this entire process is, if I don't apply, I'll never know what might've been, so just go for it and let the chips fall where they may.  One big personal advantage we may have over some younger applicants is probably just perspective.  If for whatever reason this all doesn't work out, I do have other options - my life hasn't been centered on the pursuit of law school to the exclusion of other goals.  I'm sure you feel similarly, and I'm also sure you'll be fine!!

ssd2612

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 12:13:06 PM »
Well it's nice to know that other people are feeling the same way....and like you, I'm applying to some outside my range for the same reason.  At least you got your lsat score first time out.  I expected my 163 first time out and scored 10 points lower, so they'll be averaging a 163 and 153 for me at most schools.