Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 36 years old and wanting some advice- My story  (Read 3003 times)

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 36 years old and wanting some advice- My story
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 05:20:31 PM »
No, New Orleans is still pretty bad. I was so naive and had no idea that it was so bad when I started school there. Talk about culture shock but I am glad I went there b/c I def. learned some much needed street smarts. Anyway, I would suggest applying to a few more schools, just in case. Cold Schmold...have you ever felt Louisiana in August? I have poker straight hair...it actually curled in the humidity. Plus, it rains and the whole place floods including Tulane (not so much the law school) and some rooms stink like mold. I am happy to stay in the midwest for law school. Have you thought about Madison?

I think the problem that i am running into is the law I want to pratice- Sports law?  Do u know of any other school that offer that specific law degree?

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 05:25:20 PM »
I wish I knew more about law schools that offer sports law but I almost failed gym in high school and really had no idea my undergrad had sports teams!

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 06:17:56 PM »
I wish I knew more about law schools that offer sports law but I almost failed gym in high school and really had no idea my undergrad had sports teams!

LOL  thanks for your info and advice (by the way my favorite sport is hockey) ;D go figure 

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 11:59:41 AM »
Here is my list so far for schools:

1) Marquette
2) Tulane
3) Michigan State
4) University of GA

Any opinions?

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2005, 12:20:51 PM »
Here is my list so far for schools:

1) Marquette
2) Tulane
3) Michigan State
4) University of GA

Any opinions?

I think you're underestimating the impact your URM status will have.  If you score in the mid-to-upper 160's on the LSAT I bet many good schools will be willing to completely overlook your GPA.  If you like the schools in your list, definitely apply.  But also go for some more T1 reaches (Like UGA).

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005, 01:25:11 PM »
What other T1 schools should I be looking at? and does my URM status really make that big of  a difference?  Sorry if I sound surprised- I know that minority females are in the low numbers in the law profession but are they really that low?  Think I need to do some more research.  Thanks for the advice

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2005, 09:07:18 PM »
U can add GW to the list and have been talking to people- when i take the lsat  I am going to aim for 167 and work on GPA to at least a 3.5- I have the time, at the moment I live in FL and taking classes at a local community college to transfer back to my university in Pittsburgh (a long story of why I am in FL) anyway will return to Pittsburgh in fall of 2005 to finish BSBA in May 2006.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2005, 09:46:21 PM »
U can add GW to the list and have been talking to people- when i take the lsat  I am going to aim for 167 and work on GPA to at least a 3.5- I have the time, at the moment I live in FL and taking classes at a local community college to transfer back to my university in Pittsburgh (a long story of why I am in FL) anyway will return to Pittsburgh in fall of 2005 to finish BSBA in May 2006.

If you have a 167 and a 3.5 GPA and you're a black woman, you should apply to every T14 school.  Check out www.lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the admission graph for each school you're considering.  This will show you the LSAT and GPA of everyone on the site who has been accepted and rejected at the school.  Assume that the people at the absolute lowest end of both ranges who got in were all URM's or had some other intangible advantage.  As far as being a woman, everything I've read says that black women, specifically, are the single most underrepresented minority in law school, so most of the schools are desperate to recruit them.

UniversityWASH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 05:10:05 AM »
kaest4, if you are interested is sports law, check out this website/blog:  http://sports-law.blogspot.com/  It is written by a law student at Harvard.  I love it.

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2005, 02:00:31 PM »
kaest4, if you are interested is sports law, check out this website/blog:  http://sports-law.blogspot.com/  It is written by a law student at Harvard.  I love it.

Thanks for the info - it was very helpful
 8)
Karen