Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 36 years old and wanting some advice- My story  (Read 2836 times)

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
36 years old and wanting some advice- My story
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:20:05 PM »
Hello all,

I am a 36 year african-american single female with no children. I am currently in the process of completing my BSBA with a field concentration is Sports Management from Robert Morris University. (Hoping to graduate in May 2006). At the moment my GPA is a 2.35 but am working on bringing it up to at least a 3.0. I am planning on taking the LSAT in June of 2005.  What score should I be aiming for on the LSAT? And will be applying to Law Schools in October 2005.

I am interested in Sports Law and it seems like the 2 law schools that I have found are:

Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI  and Tulane in New Orleans.

I am leaning towards Marquette due to the fact that if offers part-time and finances are going to be an issue ( I plan on working full time).

I was just wanting any advice, it will be greatly welcomed.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: 36 years old and wanting some advice- My story
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »
From what I understand, black women are the scarcest URM and as such you have a huge advantage.  If I were you, I wouldn't be worrying about the bare minimum LSAT necessary to get into law school - I would be worried about scoring in the 160s and getting yourself some scholarships.

jeflord

• Fix it!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - akalakk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 09:25:59 PM »
Have you taken the LSAT yet?

I personally think Tulane would be awesome.  If finances are a concern, maybe some loans would be an option to help you make a move.

NOLA is pretty fun too!

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 09:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice :)

isodosejustice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 10:30:14 AM »
I am 45 years old and am applying to the part-time program at Marquette for the fall 2005 semester; thinking about specializing in health law. I went there as an undergraduate and have enjoyed living in Milwaukee. The downtown area is quickly coming back with new apartment developments, restaurants, stores, etc.. The area around Marquette is OK, but crime is still occasionally a problem. (Although, I think itís still safer than New Orleans--been there a few times). You have to get used to the winters here but in the last decade, itís been much warmer and bearable. Marquette law school has a great reputation around the Milwaukee and Chicago region. Hope this little bit of information helps.

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 12:55:09 PM »
Tulane is one wild place and the law school is really nice (or it was when I started there in 1996 for undergrad). We used to break in and study there b/c Tilton (the crap shack library) had live wires everywhere. I think the law school has been on a huge upswing in recent years and you are no longer doomed to practice law in the South. A word to the wise though, Tulane teaches common and civil law so just make sure you don't want to practice in Louisiana otherwise its the Napoleonic Code for you!

grannypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 01:00:11 PM »
P.S New Orleans is like Beruit in the 80's so just be careful. You can't leave without being mugged, car jacked or female dog slapped by your own handbag which happened to my best friend while she was skinny dipping in a hot tub. Oh yeah, they stole all their clothes too. I was female dog slapped when some guy jumped out from behind a parked car and made a lunge for my backpack but I screamed bloody murder and the whole neighborhood appeared and the guy ran off. Ahhh, the memories. The food is great down there though.

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 04:09:43 PM »
Wow- I cant believe it :)  I thought that New Orleans had become a little safer-lol 

But I have a feeling I am going to end up in Wisc. I can handle the cold- I am from Pittsburgh...

Is it wrong to put all your hopes into  1 school? :-\

Thanks

Karen

grannypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 04:20:31 PM »
No, New Orleans is still pretty bad. I was so naive and had no idea that it was so bad when I started school there. Talk about culture shock but I am glad I went there b/c I def. learned some much needed street smarts. Anyway, I would suggest applying to a few more schools, just in case. Cold Schmold...have you ever felt Louisiana in August? I have poker straight hair...it actually curled in the humidity. Plus, it rains and the whole place floods including Tulane (not so much the law school) and some rooms stink like mold. I am happy to stay in the midwest for law school. Have you thought about Madison?

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 05:18:02 PM »
I am 45 years old and am applying to the part-time program at Marquette for the fall 2005 semester; thinking about specializing in health law. I went there as an undergraduate and have enjoyed living in Milwaukee. The downtown area is quickly coming back with new apartment developments, restaurants, stores, etc.. The area around Marquette is OK, but crime is still occasionally a problem. (Although, I think itís still safer than New Orleans--been there a few times). You have to get used to the winters here but in the last decade, itís been much warmer and bearable. Marquette law school has a great reputation around the Milwaukee and Chicago region. Hope this little bit of information helps.

I think I want to go the Marquette more then anywhere...I have to plan a visit to the city