Law School Discussion

Anyone took/wants to take patent bar exam?

Re: Anyone took/wants to take patent bar exam?
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2005, 12:23:36 PM »
I'll bring this thread back from the dead...

I was just approved to take the Patent Bar, so i have to take it before May 22nd. My undergrad is in Computer Science, and from a school that doesn't have some special certification (most CS programs don't, i've been told), so i had to go through "option 4" to prove that i had the necessary coursework. It was kind of a pain, but not too hard, and i had my answer within a week.

I'm dedicating 200 hours with the PatBar materials, so we'll see how it goes ...

Awesome. Good luck with the studying.  Report back here from time to time, (on this thread) and let us know how it's going.  I'd be curious to know.

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »
I'll bring this thread back from the dead...

I was just approved to take the Patent Bar, so i have to take it before May 22nd. My undergrad is in Computer Science, and from a school that doesn't have some special certification (most CS programs don't, i've been told), so i had to go through "option 4" to prove that i had the necessary coursework. It was kind of a pain, but not too hard, and i had my answer within a week.

I'm dedicating 200 hours with the PatBar materials, so we'll see how it goes ...

Awesome. Good luck with the studying.  Report back here from time to time, (on this thread) and let us know how it's going.  I'd be curious to know.

Sure, i'll let the board know how its going. When i applied i thought i had a year to take the test, but i only have 90 days! Oh well, I've always worked better under pressure.

I'm not sure IP is where i want to be, and i'm not sure what opportunities there are for someone specializing in computer science, but i figure taking this test will help if i go that way. Does anyone else know more about IP in the software field? I've read and did research on patents, trademarks, etc, during my MBA and it seemed like an interesting field.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »
why the JD if you have a MBA?

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »
why the JD if you have a MBA?

Well, getting my MBA was a way of transitioning from a software developer to something else a little more interesting and fulling for me. i looked at a lot of different options during my MBA, but didn't find anything that particularly interested me. In fact, i would say that i was surprised and a little soured by what i learned during the program. Dry and boring for the most part, with about the only thing that mattered was learning how to grow the bottom line of a company. Not a big surprise i suppose, and i don't expect that at the end of law school it will be much different. But if all that matters is the bottom line after all, then law school will probably boost MY bottom line the most. And if i find out that there is something more than boosting the bottom line (i.e. something that really interests me) then that's even better.

Plus its fun to be in school and i enjoy learning, and my financial situation means i probably won't have to take out any debt to do it ... but after that i'd better find a job! ;)

NYKnicks

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2005, 07:26:39 PM »
I'm going to check in since I'm about 30% of my way through the PatBar materials. It is the most unbelievably boring crap I have ever seen. With that said, I'm progressing pretty well, though I have stopped doing 4 modules per week which was my preevious pace. Getting a little busy at work so I've cut it back a bit to try to get 2-3 in a week. I'll probably register for the test when I'm half way through the material. Overall I feel like the way PatBar's core curriculum is well structured to study for this exam. I'm still hitting a pretty high percentage on my practice questions (around 80%), so I guess I'm heading in the right direction...hopefully. Anyway, if anyone has more specific questions, give me a PM or something.

nickel

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2005, 02:49:48 PM »
Reindeer--do you still feel that the patbar materials are preparing you well for the patent bar exam? 

I had lunch with two patent attorneys last week and they strongly suggested that I get the patent bar out of the way before starting school.  They also indicated that it would be very difficult to pass without some type of prep to put the whole process into context.    The patbar materials were by far the cheapest prep materials that I have found. 

Any thoughts?

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2005, 03:31:44 PM »
i was wondering if you feel that someone with patent experience might find the material a bit easier, and by how much.  penny for your thoughts.  thanks.

nickel

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2005, 07:22:36 PM »
I would imagine that some patent experience would be a huge benefit.  The patent attorneys that I talked to said that the largest benefit of the prep courses was being able to put all of the material into context and give it structure.  Another friend took and passed the exam using only the MPEP and old tests, but he had already finished law school and had done some patent applications.  I think that I'm just going to suck it up and buy the prep materials.  I figure that I'll make up the money in about a week once I finally do get a real job  ;).

domovoy

• "Tell them T-Bone, Tell them!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2005, 08:37:59 AM »
I'm about 10% through the PATBAR course, and Reindeers is right on the money.

1) So far it really has nothing to do with the law, just the USPTO's regulations stemming from the law. It is very boring (as opposed to something you would wake up thinking about) but there are some interesting topics, read below.

2) There is a heavy emphasis on submitting correct materials and timelines for submission. Submitting the correct materials is extremely boring - who would want to memorize every paper that needs to be submitted in every single situation? However the timelines get very interesting since you begin to see the ambiguous side of the business where (i imagine) most patent lawyers make their living. Who has priority, foreign/domestic, etc.

3) I'm doing about the same as Reindeers, maybe a little less than 80%. Personally i'd have to spend significantly more time to better that grade (you know how it goes, sometimes the difference between an A and a B is much greater than the difference between a B and C).

4) The course requires discipline - it's not that easy to sit down for 2-3 hours a day and study for the patent bar considering the material is not very exciting. Good thing it's winter up here in Syracuse! But seriously, i'm working full time and to come home at 6 and start doing 3 hours of studying is not very pleasant, but oh well.

5) Does PATBAR prepare you for the bar exam? Won't really know until i take the test, but it seems intelligently put together, but not as structured as a regular college course. My guess is that there are so many places where to start this study that the author picked the most logical starting place for him. Doesn't look like there's a great base of information that you must know before moving forward, just a bunch of rules. If you go to PATBAR's website, you'll see some kind of statement that they don't publish success rates for applicants because it all depends on how much they study, etc. At first that looks like an excuse because the numbers are probably not as good as those live courses. But when thinking about it, the author is absolutely right, in this case since it's a take home course, your success depends only on your willingness to sit down and study.

Hope this is helpful somewhat...

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2005, 02:53:27 AM »
While I am sure no one will purchase all the patent bar review courses out there, of the big three or four(PLI/BarBri/PRG/Patbar), does anyone recommend a particular program over the other?  I looked at the PLI and PRG websites and they all try to tell you how their program is superior than the other's and that really doesn't help me choose.  So any thoughts?