Law School Discussion

Anyone took/wants to take patent bar exam?

NYKnicks

Re: Anyone took/wants to take patent bar exam?
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2005, 11:37:48 AM »
I think its worthwhile...but thats mainly cause I've already shelled out my cash for this course and am already about 20% of my way through the material. If its something you're going to do sooner or later anyway, I don't see any reason not to go for it unless you have other pressing matters to attend to or have other interests.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2005, 11:53:23 AM »
Oh no doubt.  As a 1L summer assoc. you are of course, not a JD yet so you're not signing off on anything.  But that's beside the point.  Firms think long term.  When they bring you in, if you've already got the patent bar out of the way, that shows your determination as draino pointed out, plus separates you from the pack b/c that's one step closer to what they're looking for.

Besides all those reasons, I highly suggest you guys take it now prior to law school b/c those of us who are planning on taking it are pullin our hair out trying to figure WHEN exactly we can set aside enough time to actually study for this thing.  The general concensus is 2nd year, spring semester.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »
bumping this thread to get on the unread reply list for all the good info. 

original plan was to take it before 1L, BUT school starts in August, which suprisingly is only about 7 months away.  From reading this, I question as to whether or not I can prepare adequately to take the test in ~early August right before school.  Considering it is likely I would ponyup for a review course, I would be committing to have to study during my last free summer for about 4 years (going PT, not FT).  Having reconsidered, I think I will wait until after graduation and let the company pay for it.  Then the problem will be trying to fit in study time, family time, and hit the billable hours mark as a peon associate.  Hey Draino, want to start our own IP firm???  I'll even look the other way as you scam on the paralegals.

dr_draino

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
As long as you come this way and I don't have to go that way...I think there's probably enough room in the RTP market for another firm...bbq Fridays...or bbq everydays?

bumping this thread to get on the unread reply list for all the good info. 

original plan was to take it before 1L, BUT school starts in August, which suprisingly is only about 7 months away.  From reading this, I question as to whether or not I can prepare adequately to take the test in ~early August right before school.  Considering it is likely I would ponyup for a review course, I would be committing to have to study during my last free summer for about 4 years (going PT, not FT).  Having reconsidered, I think I will wait until after graduation and let the company pay for it.  Then the problem will be trying to fit in study time, family time, and hit the billable hours mark as a peon associate.  Hey Draino, want to start our own IP firm???  I'll even look the other way as you scam on the paralegals.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
I'd go back to Carolina in a second.  BBQ at least 2-3 times a week, catered to the office so we can get more work done - or else we can just send some groveling associate out for it.  We can promise him a shorter track to partnership.  We could do commercials starting out - 'Do you have an new idea you'd like to get rich off of?  Don't know how to patent it  or protect it?  Well the attorneys at Draino and Desmo Law offices can help...."

rkrx

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »
ReindeerS: When do you plan on taking the test?

I ask that b/c i also want to take the test but am unsure whether I can fully prepare and pass the exam before 1L begins. I thought about getting the patbar course as well.  In your opinion is it possible to finish the course and be fully prepared going into the exam before August using patbar if i have no prior patent or legal experience?

NYKnicks

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2005, 06:58:57 PM »
ReindeerS: When do you plan on taking the test?

I ask that b/c i also want to take the test but am unsure whether I can fully prepare and pass the exam before 1L begins. I thought about getting the patbar course as well.  In your opinion is it possible to finish the course and be fully prepared going into the exam before August using patbar if i have no prior patent or legal experience?

I plan on register for the test, which I hear is a lengthy process, after I am finished with 80% of the course. After they finish your registration I think you have a 3 month window in which ot take the test so that will give me some flexibility to prep some more if I need or just go ahead and take it when ready. So far I tentatively plan to take it in May or June.

You don't need legal experience, all you have to do is memorize and understand a LOT of rules and procedure. And yes I think you can be ready before August.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2005, 07:01:43 PM »
August is plenty of time.  4-6 months is optimal.

rkrx

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »
Thanks for the info ReindeerS  :)

August is plenty of time.  4-6 months is optimal.

I hope you mean 4-6 months w/o any legal or patent experience  :)

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2005, 10:40:24 AM »
I'll bring this thread back from the dead...

I was just approved to take the Patent Bar, so i have to take it before May 22nd. My undergrad is in Computer Science, and from a school that doesn't have some special certification (most CS programs don't, i've been told), so i had to go through "option 4" to prove that i had the necessary coursework. It was kind of a pain, but not too hard, and i had my answer within a week.

I'm dedicating 200 hours with the PatBar materials, so we'll see how it goes ...