Law School Discussion

(Revived) Latino/a Thread

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: (Revived) Latino Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2005, 03:18:09 AM »
hmmm interesting.  is it in human nature to be racist?  i think that it is easier for people to put people in boxes or categorize them and that is where recism stems from.  does that make sense? people almost need to have an us and them mentality for a state to functin properly.  i predict that if aliens landed/attacked there would be world peace relatively quickly.  or maybe im just tired and need to sleep :-\

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2005, 08:12:26 AM »
I think aliens would work quite well in bonding people together - but I think there definitely will always be a us versus them mentality. 

skin color could be the easiest way to separate but it still doesnt account for preference of lighter versus darker - unless you start talking about eurocentric occupation of certain areas.

maricutie

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2005, 08:29:19 AM »
In SoCal, especially in some parts of LA, there's a lot of racial mixing between latinos and blacks. In these kind of urban areas, it seems this is really accepted. I lived in a suburbish area about 30 min away from LA, though, and there were actually just not too many black people there for me to get much more experience ...

In Chicago, though, there seems to be a considerable amount of tension between the Mexcican and black community. Nothing too explicit, but it's just like a tension that you can feel. My guess is because of the competition for the lower-paying jobs, since alot of the people in the Mexican community are immigrants willing to work for the lowest possible wages.

As for Gin's comment regarding Cubans: I've seen this too, on occasion, with some salvadoreans, brazilians, etc. My guess is because the black community here is a totally different culture than the black latino community. For ex, a black brazilian and a black american will have almost nothing in common, but a black and light-skinned brazilian will. Think Celia Cruz.

But even within the Mexican (and generally, the entire Latino community) there's a sort of 'pigmentocracy.' Light skin and light hair are prized. My little cousin, for example, was born with green eyes, and i'm so frightened of the way her family is treating her. They'll say things like, "Don't talk back or you'll get ugly"; I just get the feeling that she's going to grow up thinking that this is her most prized asset.  :-\   

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2005, 10:39:08 AM »
I have to agree with marie cutie - there is definitely a differnce perceived between black americans and black hispanics/latinos. -

non black hispanics in my experience look upon black hispanics as no different from them (my experience) - however if you are talking about black americans it is completely different - and often there are negative stereotypes associates with them - and even sometimes a level of distrust.

maricutie

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »
Bump.

BigTex

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2005, 11:43:13 AM »
I've enjoyed the discussion. To push the conversation a little further:

All of my TexMex family are ardent Democrats. Nobody would be allowed to bring home Republican bf/gf (joking - sort of). Even given the racism mentioned above, they are liberal on most issues including black civil rights. Though there may be racism against blacks I think they all know, at some level, that it is wrong and when it comes down to voting they will support propositions that help blacks on the civil rights front. Of course, these propositions often help themselves as well, but I think there's a bit more to it than self interest.

Anyway, though liberal on most issues many of my texmex relatives are very conservative on two key issues: gay rights and abortion rights. For me, a pro-choice & gay rights supporter, this creates some conflict at family gatherings when the talk turns to politics.

Anyone have a similiar experience?

On a side note, the daughter of my grandmother's next door neighbor (the family is close w/ everyone on the block) turned out to be a lesbian. One Christmas (several years ago), she brought her girlfriend home, and drove up with her gf sitting on the back of her motorcycle no less! Needless to say, it caused quite a stir in the neighborhood. It also put a damper on the homophobic talk because the next-door-neighbor's family is highly respected in the community. Also, my cousin recently "came out". Took the family completely by surprise.

It is entertaining watching the family come to grips with all these gays suddenly popping up around them!

maricutie

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2005, 11:52:45 AM »
My best friends from high school (both, no less!!) turned out to be gay; since my mom absolutely loved one of them (the white boy who loved mexican culture), she had no problem with it. She's totally all for gay rights. My brother, however, somehow became a republican (with a sister in berkley, no less  ???) and is not. Generally, this doesn't cause conflict in our family, but I can see how it would in some Latino families.

And, BTW, where IS everyone? Thread is moving slow ... 

BigTex

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2005, 12:04:54 PM »
My best friends from high school (both, no less!!) turned out to be gay; since my mom absolutely loved one of them (the white boy who loved mexican culture), she had no problem with it. She's totally all for gay rights.

Really??!! Was she pro-gay-rights before finding out about your friend?

maricutie

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2005, 12:08:52 PM »
My best friends from high school (both, no less!!) turned out to be gay; since my mom absolutely loved one of them (the white boy who loved mexican culture), she had no problem with it. She's totally all for gay rights.

Before, she really didn't have an opinion about it. I think she just hadn't met any gay people to be able to form one. I think knowing someone who is gay, and that you love, makes it easier to imagine the civil liberty abuse to the LGBT community.

BigTex

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2005, 12:15:17 PM »

Before, she really didn't have an opinion about it. I think she just hadn't met any gay people to be able to form one. I think knowing someone who is gay, and that you love, makes it easier to imagine the civil liberty abuse to the LGBT community.

OK, sorry - but i've never figured out the last letter in LBGT:

Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual- ???? Trisexual ?????