Law School Discussion

(Revived) Latino/a Thread

maricutie

Re: (Revived) Latino Thread
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2005, 01:03:50 PM »
Maybe it was that show, since I too watch it, but i kinda remember reading it. Ah, well. Now I know better.

BTW, Tex - I sent the tamale-ebay link to my mom. I'll let you know what she thinks, but I have a stong suspicion that this comming christmas may be a little easier on the hands. :)

BigTex

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2005, 01:09:14 PM »
BTW, Tex - I sent the tamale-ebay link to my mom. I'll let you know what she thinks, but I have a stong suspicion that this comming christmas may be a little easier on the hands. :)

cool! we tex-mex are happy to help our fellow socal-mex brethren make more tamales! Man, i'm already getting hungry again for next christmas!

maricutie

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »
 :D

My mom just made more tamales from about 10 lbs of masa last week because they still felt like more, and now they're all gone.  :o And the van is just that much lower on our driveway because of it.

maricutie

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2005, 01:59:37 PM »
Bumping this thread because i don't want it to fall off the map. Has anyone else noticed that there about 5 URM/AA-themed threads? Most of them seemed to trail off into the differences between SES-based and race-based AA policies.

People's 2 cents?

BigTex

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 02:18:12 PM »
Bumping this thread because i don't want it to fall off the map. Has anyone else noticed that there about 5 URM/AA-themed threads? Most of them seemed to trail off into the differences between SES-based and race-based AA policies.

People's 2 cents?

what's SES?

maricutie

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2005, 02:20:40 PM »
generally refers to low-socio-economically disadvantaged. I forget why it's abbreviated to SES, but it makes more sense than having to type out "low-socio-economically disadvantaged" everytime.

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2005, 04:38:59 PM »
:D

My mom just made more tamales from about 10 lbs of masa last week because they still felt like more, and now they're all gone.  :o And the van is just that much lower on our driveway because of it.

I'm really, really craving a torta de tamal de salsa verde o mole rojo from my girl the street vendor in the Tecamachalco part of Mexico City. That and an atole would really hit the spot right now.  No, I'm not Latino, pero se como pachangear tal como ellos!

BigTex

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2005, 05:52:59 PM »
OK. I'll bite and propose a controversial topic. I've noticed that among my mex-am relatives there's a significant amount of racism towards blacks. Is this unique to south texas mexican americans? Others see it too? Any ideas concerning the underlying cause?

ginthailand

• I'll take the case...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2005, 09:15:22 PM »
Negative attitudes toward blacks aren't confined to the Mexican-American community.  My mother is Cuban, and while she's extremely tolerant, some of my aunts and uncles have the most bigoted opinions of blacks.  If one of my female cousins came home with a black man...or a Mexican...watch out.  Oddly, they seem to fondly recall time spent with black friends in Cuba.  Pictures from Cuba of weddings, family gatherings, and the like always have a handful of black people in them.  The U.S. is a different story.  I live in Miami, and an older Cuban man told me at work(in Spanish, since black customers were present) that he was glad to be speaking with a white guy, since black people were always incompetent.  The Cuban woman next to him nodded approvingly.  (Oddly, he prefaced it by saying "No quiero ser racista, pero...) How does one respond to that?

I think the underlying causes are the seemingly universal concept of a "hierarchy" of skin colors (the whiter the better...I lived in Thailand and Laos, where skin-lightening creams are big sellers) and the desire by some immigrants to denigrate other minorities in a (conscious or subconscious) effort to keep from being at the bottom of the ethnicity ladder.  Apparently, they adopt American attitudes about skin color pretty rapidly. 

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2005, 01:19:35 AM »
This is a very interesting topic. I think that society is very successful at pitting minorinties against each other to keep them blinded from the true causes for their social conditions. I had Cuban friends in Miami that despised Mexicans at all costs. When I asked him why he said that they take away the jobs from all the hard working Cubans.  ??? For the life of me I couldn't understand this mentality. I look at it as that all groups are so anxious to assimilate into white culture that they feel they must adopt racist and divisive attitudes against other minorities to show their superiority. Or lack of inferiority in the opinions of whites.