Law School Discussion

(Revived) Latino/a Thread

Fade

Re: (Revived) Latino Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2005, 08:45:51 PM »
Have any of you visited the schools you're applying to? Or do you plan to (before being accepted)?

Interviews are not a part of the admissions process, but has anyone experienced anything different because they visit as a URM?

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 09:33:05 PM »
Here's a link to an ebay auction for the machine mentioned above:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25370&item=3863977804&rd=1

Some of the people in my family use a little press looking thing for putting the masa in, but my mom does it by hand, so I've always done it by hand.  My mom says that they turn out about the same, as far as she can tell.  I'll have to tell her about that machine.

V

TTTchick

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »
I have been looking at acceptances of Hispanics at the various schools, and I have to say that Penn is not doing a good job of recognizing our perspective. I am very concerned because I live near Philly and happen to know that many Hispanic people live in the greater Philadelphia area.

I am calling for a mass effort to attempt a boycott of Penn. Because Hispanics are the largest minority group here in the United States (even when not including the so-called illegal immigrants) their inability to give consideration to Hispanics is astounding.

Let's spread the word: boycott Penn!

PS If you're white, your perspective is very well represented in 98% of the other threads on this board and in such racist sites as xoxo. Check those out.

maricutie

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 10:20:57 PM »
Have any of you visited the schools you're applying to? Or do you plan to (before being accepted)?

Interviews are not a part of the admissions process, but has anyone experienced anything different because they visit as a URM?

I only know boalt because i went to berkeley undergrad; UCLA i know the area because I took an LSAT prep class there when i was in so cal; I have visited both uchicago and northwestern because i'm currently there. But aside from that .. no. I have a friend at stanford that's giving me the inside scoop, though, which is nice. I've heard through the grapevine that some schools will pay for you to visit, but so far only boalt and sls have made an offer ... i have my mind set already, but i would imagine it costs mucho $$$ to go visit all the schools one is deciding between.

PS -- i'd suggest looking up older threads for school-specific info.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 05:59:50 AM »
Hey guys, just wanted to see what you thought about this post

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,20150.0.html

One guy put down that he was Hispanic so that he would get a boost for his application, since his dad was from Argentina. but he has previously identified himself as white on his college application.

maricutie

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 08:11:39 AM »
From reading his post, it doesn't seem like he's including it just for the sake of getting that URM boost in the admissions process, thankfully. By writing up that diversity statement he went out of his way to explain his situation, which I thought really showed that he really just wanted to be considered as a 'diversity' candidate. However, I don't imagine Argentinians (especially one with half of a british background) would get much of a URM boost anyhow.

Tha sad part is that many law schools are going to put him under the "Hispanic" category; so when you show up to class expecting a 20% mexican/guatemalan/cuban/etc class, you'll be surprised. It's one way schools try to boost how 'diverse' they are ... 

BigTex

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005, 08:32:35 AM »
Hey guys, just wanted to see what you thought about this post

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,20150.0.html

One guy put down that he was Hispanic so that he would get a boost for his application, since his dad was from Argentina. but he has previously identified himself as white on his college application.

From reading all his posts in that thread, it appears his father isn't really even hispanic. I asked him whether or not his father is white, because there are many white people in Argentina, and he said that was irrelevant. So, both his parents may be completely white but he's claiming 'hispanic' simply because of father's nation of origin.

Of course, i'm not really one to criticize though. I'm in a somewhat dubious situation. I'm biologically white but was adopted by a hispanic father. on all my apps i checked bot the "white" and "hispanic" checkboxes and sent in an addendum explaining exactly my situation.

Personally, i don't have any problem w/ it if the guy's addendum fully explained his situation. But, i have a sneaking feeling that he left it ambiguous, that his addendum mentions his father is from Argentina but doesn't fully disclose that his father is white.

Anyway, again, i'm not really one to make any judgements on the matter, but that's my humble assessment.

Also, fwiw, i've been checking the 'hispanic' box my whole life, even when it wasn't of benefit.

maricutie

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005, 08:38:56 AM »
Yeah -- my feeling was that he was being honest by including the addendum. I would have felt different had he just checked off the hispanic box; unlike some other ethnic groups, it's really hard to 'pass' yourself as latino/hispanic because there's such a wide variety of characteristics. If his father really isn't really hispanic, though, I would hope that he mentioned this in his addendum as well.

I agree with the problems of using language as a litmus test. There are many mex americans (chicanos) in so cal who've been there for generations, speak no spanish, but still have an accent in their english  ??? They're as latino as anyone else, still living in the culture, still being treated differently, etc.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 12:21:39 PM »
heres the problem with that.  i dont speak spanish well because my family did not pass it on to us.  my grandmother was in many ways was made ashamed of being mexican and felt that her accent was a hinderance.  so she didnt cinsistently speak it at home and consequently my mom and i can only understand spanish with moderate proficiency.  i am not bilingual but i still think of myself as hispanic

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »
same deal - no embarrassment from my mom about speaking the language but she wanted us to speak english so she enforced it in our household. 

wanna hear something funny and sad all at the same time - my mother is even less proficient in english than I am in Spanish.  She understands it but barely speaks it. I understand spanish most of it and have a limited spanish vocabulary.  I intend to rectify it soon.  I dont want my kids thinking of themselves as not hispanic - because I hardly speak spanish outside family circles.

It is hilarious and sad all at the same time.  There have been some major misunderstandings in my fams!