Law School Discussion

(Revived) Latino/a Thread

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: (Revived) Latino Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 11:02:25 AM »
wtf...im going on ebay right now because our family needs one.  70 dozen!!!??? that is insane!

Fade

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 11:07:04 AM »
70 dozen? Wow!

I need to let my family know about this machine.

maricutie

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 11:08:15 AM »
I'm going to go tell my mom about this!!  :D

Seriously, all these years, we've been doing them by hand ... when there was a machine ...

BigTex

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 11:08:56 AM »
wtf...im going on ebay right now because our family needs one.  70 dozen!!!??? that is insane!

Yeah - with that machine they just crank them out real fast. One lady puts that outer skin stuff on the corn husk, next lady puts in the ingredients, next lady rolls the tamale through the machine. From what they say, the rolling part is the most labor intensive - so the machine really helps. After the first two ladies are done it only takes a few seconds to roll the tamale through.

We've got a pretty big extended family so we've got to make tons of tamales or else everybody is standing around like "uhhh ... can i have one more tamale? I've only had 2. I think you've had three". That's no good at christmas time!

It's so cool seeing just platefulls and platefulls of steaming hot tamales brought out. Everyone can eat their fill w/o guilt!

BigTex

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »

Seriously, all these years, we've been doing them by hand ... when there was a machine ...

Wow! I thought everybody used the machine. I didn't think anyone *really* did it 100% by hand anymore. It's certainly not an expense issue - everyone on my grandmother's street is dirt-poor but every family has the tamale-rolling-pin machine thing.

The older ladies remember as little kids doing them completely by hand and talk about how labor intensive it was back then. But none of them have done it by hand for years.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 11:14:55 AM »
dude, i looked on ebay and google but the only ones i saw were like tamale dispensers rather than rolling machines

BigTex

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 11:20:19 AM »
dude, i looked on ebay and google but the only ones i saw were like tamale dispensers rather than rolling machines

wow - cool. maybe it's some local mexican ingenuity down in kingsville texas. I'll ask my dad where they originally got it and let you know.

maricutie

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 11:21:11 AM »

Wow! I thought everybody used the machine. I didn't think anyone *really* did it 100% by hand anymore. It's certainly not an expense issue - everyone on my grandmother's street is dirt-poor but every family has the tamale-rolling-pin machine thing.

The older ladies remember as little kids doing them completely by hand and talk about how labor intensive it was back then. But none of them have done it by hand for years.

Hmm. I feel stupid. But at least we don't grow the corn and grind the masa ourselves! :).

Also, my experience has been that the spreading of the masa on the corn leaves is the hardest past. The rolling doesn't seem that bad...? ??? But, hey, anything to make it easier. ;)

BigTex

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 11:26:58 AM »
Also, my experience has been that the spreading of the masa on the corn leaves is the hardest past. The rolling doesn't seem that bad...? ??? But, hey, anything to make it easier. ;)

Whoa! You're totally right! Sorry - i never really paid that much attention to the details of the tamale assembly line. But now thinking back on it, the tamale-rolling-pin thing is at the beginning of the line, not the end. That's right - they use it to flatten out the goo-masa stuff and make it stick to the corn husk.

Sorry for the earlier confusion!

maricutie

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 11:29:50 AM »
And now I too am searching ebay ...  ;D