Law School Discussion

(Revived) Latino/a Thread

maricutie

(Revived) Latino/a Thread
« on: December 29, 2004, 08:34:14 AM »
Apparently, the Latino thread was a casualty of the new server change. Sadness  :-\ , but the faster loading is probably worth it.

So ... what did everyone have for Christmas dinner? Is everyone done with their applications?

RE: earlier topic about tamales -- i ended up making the refried bean ones (excellent!) as well as the ones made of chiles en raja & cheese (also excellent). Managed to mind a way to avoid the dryness in the latter, and they were pretty good. The only thing is that they're addictive, and are really a huge morsel of calorie-ladden, moist goodness.  :)

Fade

Re: (Revived) Latino Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:52:27 AM »
Mari, no meat? I don't understand how you can eat a tamale with no carne. lol! I'll admit though, I wish I could shake my meat dependency and become a semi-vegetarian. I'm sure to inherit my father's heart troubles.

I ate plenty of tamales on Christmas, although my nana still hasn't brought her tamales out of the kitchen. I'm anxiously awaiting.

Am I the only one around here that hates menudo? I mean, HATE!

As for apps, sadly I barely finished most of them on December 20. Turned in UVA a few days ago and still have UCLA. All 15 pages of that app don't seem too fun to me to fill out. I need to stop procrastinating.

maricutie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 10:59:09 AM »
LOL -- the menudo comment reminds me of a joke by George Lopez (or Paul Rodriguez; they were both on the same show, so i forget):

"Menudo is made of parts of the cow the cow don't want back!!"

It was pretty funny  :D... but no, I never figured out why ppl liked it either. I like pozole, but menudo is all chewy and icky. :P

EDIT: funny sites:
http://www.cartoonista.com/
http://pocho.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 03:22:22 PM »
I am so sick of menudo! i use to eat it when i was younger, but now its just weird. its so prevalent in my house this time of year.

all my apps have been done since early nov, but still havent gone complete cuz stupid LSAC cannot process my LOR for some reason.  :-\

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 04:27:20 PM »
i love everything about menudo except the tripas (tripe). my grandma refuses to take it outof the recipe becasue she says it is essential tothe flavor.  do you think you cold get the same flavor if you cook the tripe in cheesecloth in the menudo?  i think so and have been unsuccessfull in convincing my g-ma of the same

maricutie

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 10:23:07 AM »
i love everything about menudo except the tripas (tripe). my grandma refuses to take it outof the recipe becasue she says it is essential tothe flavor.  do you think you cold get the same flavor if you cook the tripe in cheesecloth in the menudo?  i think so and have been unsuccessfull in convincing my g-ma of the same

There is just no way to convince g-ma's of this. Don't even try. :) My mom's the same way with refried beans --- she swears she can't eat them out of a can, so she'll go through the hassle of soaking them, cooking them, frying them, and then re-frying them. I just take them out of the can and, like a good Mexican vegetarian, re-re-fry them in oil or lard, if available.  :D

BigTex

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 10:27:33 AM »
So ... what did everyone have for Christmas dinner?

Home-made tamales! There's some big crank machine the ladies pull out of the closet every year. It's fun watching them put everything on the corn-husk and crank it through the machine. Man, that hand-crank machine my family uses is about 50 years old!

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 10:34:08 AM »

Home-made tamales! There's some big crank machine the ladies pull out of the closet every year. It's fun watching them put everything on the corn-husk and crank it through the machine. Man, that hand-crank machine my family uses is about 50 years old!

Hand-crank? This might be a texas thing  ???... but the idea that I've been doing them by hand all this time when a machine was available is slightly maddening ...  :D

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 10:46:38 AM »
what on earth?????....i have hever heard of a hand cranked tamale machine. 

yeah mari, i cant convince my g-ma and it is not even worth trying anymore.  however, i did convince her that the renaisance popes were bad men (Sixtus-Leo X), which was no small feat.

BigTex

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 11:00:48 AM »

Hand-crank? This might be a texas thing  ???... but the idea that I've been doing them by hand all this time when a machine was available is slightly maddening ...  :D

It's this funny looking machine devoted to the "rolling" of the tamale. It looks like two rolling pins laid horizontal with a hand crank on the side. You put all your goodies on the corn husk and then lay it on the edge of the pins and start cranking. Out pops a pretty, tightly wound little tamale ready to be cooked.

The ladies in the family worked all day christmas eve. By nightfall, we had about 70 dozen hand made tamales all cooked up and ready to go. Also, in my grandmother's back yard there's tons of wild chile-petines growing (they still fruit this time of year). So the hot sauce was kickin, flavorful, and fresh!