Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-LS books  (Read 17917 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-LS books
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2005, 08:22:26 PM »

I'm being really lazy, but I'll read the first 25 pages and report back to you...

lol- you are welcome for the motivation  :)

Ok. If you don't know what constitutes good legal writing, get the book. The book is also pretty funny when he chides lawyers that write convolutely. Overall, thumbs up.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2005, 09:20:30 PM »
thanks for the tip, i will check it out

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2005, 08:26:58 PM »
One book that I've been looking through and love is America's Greatest Places to Work with a Law Degree by Kimm Walton.  While it's a little dated and about law jobs instead of law  school, I think it's worth recommending.  I think you probably get more out of law school if you have a vague idea of what you want to do afterwards...and this book is the best that I've yet seen on that front.
Attending: Columbia

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2005, 09:05:46 PM »
Didn't think about that book, but I've read it too.  It's definately worth the read.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2005, 11:04:30 AM »
Here's the books we use in our legal writing class, minus the style guide. On another thread in this board, Ruskie advised getting the 'Blue Book' - I think that's terrible advise. It won't make any sense, and will just exasperate and frustrate you needlessly. Further, not all law schools teach the Blue Book, so it may be completely irrelevant on top of the rest.

Strunk and White - Elements of Style
Richard C. Wydick - Plain English for Lawyers
Amy E. Sloan - Basic Legal Research: Tools and Strategies
Richard K. Neumann, Jr. - Legal Reasoning and Legal Writing: Structure, Strategy, and Style

Also, in our Legal Process (orientation) class, we read, John Makdisi - Introduction to the Study of Law: Cases and Materials. Gives you good background information about the legal system and a few cases in the major subject areas.

TLFKARG

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2005, 11:23:01 AM »
Here's the books we use in our legal writing class, minus the style guide. On another thread in this board, Ruskie advised getting the 'Blue Book' - I think that's terrible advise. It won't make any sense, and will just exasperate and frustrate you needlessly. Further, not all law schools teach the Blue Book, so it may be completely irrelevant on top of the rest.

Strunk and White - Elements of Style
Richard C. Wydick - Plain English for Lawyers
Amy E. Sloan - Basic Legal Research: Tools and Strategies
Richard K. Neumann, Jr. - Legal Reasoning and Legal Writing: Structure, Strategy, and Style

Also, in our Legal Process (orientation) class, we read, John Makdisi - Introduction to the Study of Law: Cases and Materials. Gives you good background information about the legal system and a few cases in the major subject areas.

Not all law schools teach the Blue Book?  Hard to believe, since any school that didn't would place its students at a significant disadvantage when they are asked to Blue Book something at a firm. 

Before you call my advice terrible, read the thread.  The person was asking for more substantive reading than the "overview" books and I suggested that he look into the Blue Book, as he was particularly interested in a head-start on legal research and writing.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »
Not all law schools teach the Blue Book?  Hard to believe, since any school that didn't would place its students at a significant disadvantage when they are asked to Blue Book something at a firm. 

Before you call my advice terrible, read the thread.  The person was asking for more substantive reading than the "overview" books and I suggested that he look into the Blue Book, as he was particularly interested in a head-start on legal research and writing.

Yes, this is true... Although I'm looking for "overview" books, as well as more substantive reading.  I just have a lot more time on my hands now than I will in eight months, that's all.  I figure that even if I only will use 5% of what I do between now and then, at least it's something.

maricutie

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2005, 11:40:16 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm in this boat too. Just looking for something like an overview of first year courses. Like, "what are contracts?" or "what are torts?." Something so that I'm not seeing these terms for the first time this sept.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »
Yea...

I know that I've heard that there isn't really a way to prepare for law school, but there has to be something I can do if I have eight months and a lot of time.  I'm glad to hear about the Legal Research and Writing ideas.

bhvexille

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2005, 11:46:25 AM »
Don't law schools use textbooks? 
If so, why can't you just read one of them?