Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top Schools for Good Beer?  (Read 7478 times)

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top Schools for Good Beer?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2005, 08:36:37 PM »
Hands down, Philadelphia.

In PA, you've got all of the following as essentially local beers:

Lancaster
Weyerbacher
Yeuengling
Victory
Yards
Dock Street
Flying Fish
Dogfish Head
Stoutds

Not to speak of the fact that Iron City and Rolling Rock are PA products, and I'm quite positive I've missed some other brewers.

Not to mention there are a lot of great local microbrewery bars:

General Lafayette Inn
Iron Hill Brewery
Manayunk Brewing Company (ok, this one sucks, I'll admit)
Independence Brew Pub

Oh, and in Philadelphia you have Monk's Tavern, which has over 400 beers to choose from on its menu, most of which are pretty rare.  Then there's the Boathouse in Conshohocken, with 40 beers on tap, the Standard Tap in Northern Liberties, with nothing BUT local beers on tap.  And last, but not least, there are two great beer distributors, The Beer Yard in Wayne (can you say 5 mins from Villanova Law?) with 500 beers and for the more ambitious, 55 minutes away is Shangy's the distributor with the largest selection this side of the Mississippi -- with over 3500 types of beer to choose from.

I just don't think this area can be beat for original beer, or beer in general.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2005, 08:40:26 PM »
Abita.. my friends, Abita... Its the best microbrewery in america.. Hands down.. New Orleans, LA.. The south DOES have good brewskies.. Well, actually, not sure I would consider New Orleans the south.. Its kinda like a seperate entity from the remainder of the USA..

I really liked Abita Red when I was in New Orleans, and I don't even like amber beers.  Good company.  My friend hated their beers, though.  His loss.  Fun town, I reccomend Miss May's, in Uptown somewhere, on St. Charles, I think.  Good god did I get loaded there.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2005, 09:20:35 PM »

Yeah, Shiners still "microbrewed" by definition in that its still a small company, but you can buy one just about anywhere......

One of the big three (Anheiser Busch I think) makes "Ziegenbock" which they market in Texas as being truly local. Total rip off of Shiner, so stay away.........it's the Mr.s Pibb of brewskies

For the record...

Shiner Bock is definately NOT a bock-style beer. It is, however, a very nice light brown ale. My daily brew has become Shiner Light, which in no way resembles any American light beer. It's actually a rather complex pale ale. Highly recommended.

Ziegen Bock, also not a bock beer, truly is terrible.

Shiner is a medium-sized brewery, like Sam Adams, not a microbrew.

At the end of the day, any self-respecting beer lover must shy away from Texas, though. Hell, I guess that goes for the south and especially the southwest, in general.

Texas is by no means the mecca of beer, but we do get our own cool personalized bottles from all the big companies with lil Texas labels and logos (Is Miller Lite "True to Pennsylvania"? I think not...)  :)

There are a few decent brews down in the hill country due to all the German immigrants living there.....not nearly as many as up in the midwest/atlantic region though.....

Shiner itself isnt great, but it is very good. Bottom line is that Texans are just passionate about all things Texas, which is why Shiner, along with Dr. Pepper, has found such a strong niche....
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

ennuiner

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »
Give me a f*cking break...  PA for beer?  Were you really drunk when you wrote that?

Oh wait, wait... they do make Iron City and Rolling Rock.  Case closed.  You know Milwaukee makes PBR AND Milwaukee's Beast, perhaps they deserve the crown as microbrew capitol.

163/3.95
Accepted: Texas
Defered: Penn
Pending: Cornell
Rejected: Boalt
Waitlist(after defered): G'town, UVA, Duke... can't find it in their heart to reject me

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2005, 07:07:24 PM »
Give me a f*cking break...  PA for beer?  Were you really drunk when you wrote that?

Oh wait, wait... they do make Iron City and Rolling Rock.  Case closed.  You know Milwaukee makes PBR AND Milwaukee's Beast, perhaps they deserve the crown as microbrew capitol.

I'm not going to write the list again.  PA has as many top-notch microbrews, major brews, specialty bars, brew-pubs, and kick-ass distributors as any other state.  No, more than 90% of the other states.

Where are you from?

ennuiner

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2005, 11:00:11 PM »
Portland, OR, see my posts above.
163/3.95
Accepted: Texas
Defered: Penn
Pending: Cornell
Rejected: Boalt
Waitlist(after defered): G'town, UVA, Duke... can't find it in their heart to reject me

ilsox7

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2005, 11:03:52 PM »
I've never actually visited either Portland or Penn, but Portland has the reputation as microbrew captial of the US.  Penn is up there too, especially with Victory.  Luckily I will get to visit Penn for the first time this summer!

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2005, 09:23:43 AM »
Portland, OR, see my posts above.

Oh, right, so you know everything about beer.  My mistake.  Please note, I said PA is probably better at beer than ** 90% ** of the rest of the country.

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2005, 09:29:47 AM »
Listen, I've lived in both OR & PA (& CA for that matter).  Kevdog is somewhat correct about PA - it does have some stellar breweries - Victory being the best of them, IMO.

However, OR & CA (& perhaps CO) put PA to shame.  Personally, I think CA has a leg up on OR, but in this case, the west is definitely the best.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2005, 09:31:50 AM »
Listen, I've lived in both OR & PA (& CA for that matter).  Kevdog is somewhat correct about PA - it does have some stellar breweries - Victory being the best of them, IMO.

However, OR & CA (& perhaps CO) put PA to shame.  Personally, I think CA has a leg up on OR, but in this case, the west is definitely the best.

I can live with that :)