Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top Schools for Good Beer?  (Read 7408 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: Top Schools for Good Beer?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2004, 01:57:04 PM »
Texas and New Orleans, not bad.  But is there any decent beer made in Florida I wonder...

ilsox7

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2004, 02:04:54 PM »
Texas and New Orleans, not bad.  But is there any decent beer made in Florida I wonder...

None.  I have a place on Sanibel and there is Key West Brew., I think.  There is supposed to be a decent place up in Tampa, but besides that it's wretched.

akl

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2004, 04:02:10 PM »
Pyramid, Deschutes, Widmer, Mac and Jacks (my personal favorite), Red Hook, Full Sail, Snoqualmie falls.... just to name a few amazing microbrews native to the pacific northwest. it makes me sad i'll be leaving the region at the end of the year, and when i travel the only stuff that seems to make it across the country is red hook and pyramid.
3.5/169

ilsox7

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2004, 04:04:27 PM »
I've seen Widmer in the Midwest.  Or at least I saw it somewhere that wasn't West of the Mississippi.  Pyramid never has done it for me, but I think I only have tasted their Hefe.  I'll look into their other offerings and give them a shot!  Thanks for adding a few brews to my want list.  ;D

ilsox7

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2004, 12:34:03 AM »
OK...for the beer geeks in here:

Tonight as a belated Xmas gift, I received proper glassware from all 6 Trappist Breweries.  We did a tasting of:

Chimay Grand Reserve
Westmalle
Orval
Aachel Blonde
Aachel Brun
Westy 8
Rochefort 10

We also tasted Vondel (Flemish Brown Ale)

A PHENOMENAL night.

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2004, 02:12:44 AM »
Comon guys. you are totally forgetting that northern California has some of the best beers in the country:

-Sierra Nevada
-Anchor Steam
-Humbolt Hemp Ale

They aren't technically microbrew, but they sure as hell are regional specialties.
I will miss LA :-(

ilsox7

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2004, 11:04:50 AM »
Sierra Nevada is of course the base line for IPAs.  Anchor is sposed to have a terrific Xmas Ale of which we are cracking open a 1.5L bottle tomorrow for New Years.  Honestly, my knowledge of Humbolt is minimal.  I will have to try and find some and give it a shot!

buster

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »
Anybody had Ommegang or Hennepin?

I was at the brewery in Cooperstown a couple years ago; good beers and a cool little spot.

ilsox7

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2004, 11:10:25 AM »

I was at the brewery in Cooperstown a couple years ago; good beers and a cool little spot.

Ommegang has a nice reputation for being able to duplicate Belgian Ales.  I have 4 or 5 cellared for a nice evening in the future.  I would love to get to Cooperstown to visit the brewery and spend a few days at the Hall of Fame.  That'd be an awesome trip!

buster

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2004, 11:16:48 AM »
That's exactly what we did. I should note that the HoF was much less awe-inspiring than it had been in my early teens.

Ommegang has a nice reputation for being able to duplicate Belgian Ales.  I have 4 or 5 cellared for a nice evening in the future.  I would love to get to Cooperstown to visit the brewery and spend a few days at the Hall of Fame.  That'd be an awesome trip!