Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top Schools for Good Beer?  (Read 7778 times)

lshopeful

Re: Top Schools for Good Beer?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 11:07:35 AM »
You can get good wine everywhere -- the stuff tends to travel... from Cali or Italy or France, but good Microbreweries usually sell their beer only regionally -- this could be a problem.

I know, I know -- please stop panicking and sit down.  Okay, you're thinking, "did I apply to a wide variety of schools with access to good beer?"  I don't know -- but you must research before it's too late to send out more apps.

So, I'll start.  My list of some especially good schools for beer.  Now my list is regional -- like a partner at a small bankruptcy firm, I tend to hire beers from the surrounding area.  I'll need others' help to assess the reps for beers from outside the Midwest.

1. Case Western (Cleveland is home to the Great Lakes Brewing Company)
2. Pittsburgh (okay, they're too crazy about India Pale Ales, but access to Ying Ling makes up for it)
3. Michigan (access to every beer that "Bells" (from Kalamazoo, MI) has to offer. Plus Leopold Bros Brewery is in A2.

But I don't think cities in the south would be good for beer -- too much Nascar=too much Bud Light.

And Columbus, Ohio -- no good beer there.  But then again, there isn't much worth mentioning about Columbus (yes I went to Michigan, but Columbus still doesn't have any decent beer).

I think Chicago is overrated for beer -- Goose Island isn't all that great and they have little more to offer I think.

What a stupid f'ing question. I hope you're never my lawyer. "F your depositions, I'm trying to figures out where I can gets some good beer in this town. I'm going through withdrawal man." Low-life drunkard.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 11:14:47 AM »
Abita.. my friends, Abita... Its the best microbrewery in america.. Hands down.. New Orleans, LA.. The south DOES have good brewskies.. Well, actually, not sure I would consider New Orleans the south.. Its kinda like a seperate entity from the remainder of the USA..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

ilsox7

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 11:18:05 AM »
Thanks for the God-like status  ;D

I went to IU (home of Upland Brewery which is quality and Bloomington Brew. Company which is also solid).  My bro, however, is a UM grad and lives there still.  New Holland is nice b/c they do some great high gravity beers (Dragon's Milk, Pilgrim's Dole to name two).  They are seasonal and not the easiest to find, but I secured 4 packs of each of the two previous mentionedl ast week.

I have not been to Ashley's mainly b/c it's reputation is that of a crowded, "college" bar, which is fine by me, but not my brother's pint of beer.  I will go there at some point though.  I hear they generally have a couple of cask aged beers there.  The only downside I hear is that some of their good beer can be old, as many college students don't go for it, leaving the kegs sitting there for a while.

I haven't been to Leopold either, as Ann Arbor was our top choice.  Arbor brewing does some nice things including their high volume series which can only be purched in 750ml bottles.  I have a nice bottle of their triple waiting to be opened at some point soon.  I am actually quite anxious b/c my bro is coming in today for Xmas (late) and I am sure he has some good beer as gifts for me.  In fact, I am positive he has 2 bottles of Vondel, which is a phenomenal Flanders Brown Ale from Belgium.  ANd being the geek that I am, I got their tulip glass last week for Xmas, so I will be able to enjoy in the proper glassware.

Did you go to UM?  If so, you're very lucky as they probably have the most mature beer market for any UG institution.

ilsox7

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 11:18:59 AM »
Abita.. my friends, Abita... Its the best microbrewery in america.. Hands down.. New Orleans, LA.. The south DOES have good brewskies.. Well, actually, not sure I would consider New Orleans the south.. Its kinda like a seperate entity from the remainder of the USA..

Eh.  Abita has some solid brews, but mostly it's good for 3 for 1 at 5.25 in the Quarter before 10.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 11:25:59 AM »
You're crazy.. Turbo Dog and Amber are brilliant abita beers..

BRILLIANT!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 11:26:17 AM »
Finally, a topic of CRITICAL importance to the next three years of my life!

What the hell is wrong with you people?

WISCONSIN!!!!!

#1) UW-Madison
#2) Marquette

Near the above schools you can drink Leinenkugel's original on tap or in returnable bottles. Nuff said.

ilsox7

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 11:30:37 AM »
Finally, a topic of CRITICAL importance to the next three years of my life!

What the hell is wrong with you people?

WISCONSIN!!!!!

#1) UW-Madison
#2) Marquette

Near the above schools you can drink Leinenkugel's original on tap or in returnable bottles. Nuff said.

The best thing about Wiscy is Capital Brewery.  They do some very nice things.  Leinenkugel doesn't really impress me at all.  Nothing complex or special about them.

My problem the next 3 years will be how much cash to alot to my beer.  Not really having to watch my spending in the recent past has made it easy to spend 7-12 bucks on 1 bottle of beer.  Gotta come up with a way to justify that now.  By the way, if anyone is in CHicago, I am making a visit to The Map Room and possible Hopleaf in a couple of weeks.  Beer selection is great plus they will have St. Bernardus Abt 12 on tap, which is one of the top beers in the world.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 11:40:47 AM »
ilsox7,

Yea, I went to Michigan.  Loved Ann Arbor -- fantastic beer.  And parties in Ann Arbor are always free -- it would be the social kiss of death to charge for alcohol in A2.  What's more, at lots of the "Co-Op" parties (there is a Cooperative House System where about 500+ students live in about 20 different houses in A2) they will sometimes have Bells on tap.  It's pretty nice when you go to a party expecting Natty Light and get Oberon.  

Ashley's attracts lots of college students, but if you avoid Thurs/Fri/Sat after 8pm you won't find Ashley's too crowded.  What's more, at Michigan there are less than 25,000 undergrads.  Ashleys tends to attract grad students (there are roughly 12,000 grad students at UM) and other people who live in A2 (Ann Arbor has over 100,000 people -- many of whom commute to the Detroit area.

Point is that you'll find all sorts of folks at Ashley's.  About their beer being old, I've never noticed it.  It might be helpful to note that there are a hundred bars where students can go in A2 to get a cheap pitcher -- Ashley's doesn't sell beer in anything but bottles or pints.  And Ashley's doesn't sell Bud/Bud Light type beers really.  They do have Labotts, but it's not a lot cheaper than their other beers.  Bottom line is that you should check Ashleys out -- you'll be pleasantly surprised I think.

And you should just stop by Leopold Bros and pick up a six pack from their brewery on Main Street, just south of Packard.  You'll be impressed I think.

Beer -- best gift in the world :)

ilsox7

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 11:44:13 AM »
Ah yes, I love Ann Arbor.  So much that I even have a condo there!  But alas, it will be sold as I wonn't be able to get in there for law school.  (Insert bitterness about minimal prep time for LSAT)  It's probably good I won't be going there as I'd spend most of my time at Arbor or Leopold.  Then I'd head down the street to Beer Depot and spend money I didn't have in the first place!

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 11:44:34 AM »
What a stupid f'ing question. I hope you're never my lawyer. "F your depositions, I'm trying to figures out where I can gets some good beer in this town. I'm going through withdrawal man." Low-life drunkard.

Jeez, somebody's a little angry.  I'd rather have a lawyer who'd had a couple beers than one who I was afraid of... besides, I don't drink beer to get drunk -- I haven't been drunk in like two years buddy.