Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top Schools for Good Beer?  (Read 7505 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

Top Schools for Good Beer?
« on: December 29, 2004, 12:41:04 AM »
You can get good wine everywhere -- the stuff tends to travel... from Cali or Italy or France, but good Microbreweries usually sell their beer only regionally -- this could be a problem.

I know, I know -- please stop panicking and sit down.  Okay, you're thinking, "did I apply to a wide variety of schools with access to good beer?"  I don't know -- but you must research before it's too late to send out more apps.

So, I'll start.  My list of some especially good schools for beer.  Now my list is regional -- like a partner at a small bankruptcy firm, I tend to hire beers from the surrounding area.  I'll need others' help to assess the reps for beers from outside the Midwest.

1. Case Western (Cleveland is home to the Great Lakes Brewing Company)
2. Pittsburgh (okay, they're too crazy about India Pale Ales, but access to Ying Ling makes up for it)
3. Michigan (access to every beer that "Bells" (from Kalamazoo, MI) has to offer. Plus Leopold Bros Brewery is in A2.

But I don't think cities in the south would be good for beer -- too much Nascar=too much Bud Light.

And Columbus, Ohio -- no good beer there.  But then again, there isn't much worth mentioning about Columbus (yes I went to Michigan, but Columbus still doesn't have any decent beer).

I think Chicago is overrated for beer -- Goose Island isn't all that great and they have little more to offer I think.

dr_draino

Re: Top Schools for Good Beer?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 12:55:05 AM »
Any post that considers "ying ling" 'good beer' should be disregarded.

Gummo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 01:05:52 AM »

is that how it's pronounced?  I always wondered.

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 01:06:28 AM »

is that how it's pronounced?  I always wondered.

It's also pronounced "crap-beer".  HTH

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 01:10:01 AM »
In defense of Ying-Ling, I can't really say I consider it great beer, but it's halfway decent and I have good memories of rock climbing and backpacking in Pennsylvania with lots of Ying Ling (yes I know, mixing beer and rock climbing is not all that smart).

Soooo for me the Ying Ling is a good thing -- you're right, not great beer -- or even good beer, but with good associations for me.

So I concede on the Ying Ling part.  But I'd still like to hear what schools you think are strong for good beer.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 01:13:44 AM »
Here's my western perspective:

1. CU Boulder (tons of microbreweries in CO)
2. Denver (see above)
3. Lewis and Clark (quite a few in the Portland area)
4-187. Rancid TTTs

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 01:20:30 AM »
Personally, I'd vote Lewis and Clark...can't beet the Oregon brews...

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 01:29:41 AM »
Hmmm... I didn't think about Oregon.  The Northwest does have some pretty great beer. 

I wonder why the south sucks for beer -- I mean there is certainly the Nascar-Groupthink thing going on, and that's no good for beer quality, but what about cities like New Orleans and Miami?  I've never heard there's any good beer there either -- why?  Well, New Orleans maybe b/c of the French influence?  And Miami b/c of the latin american influence?  I mean, I love France and Cuba, but neither have anything close to decent beer do they?

Are there any cities that have very Italian histories?  Cause then we could test this theory of bad beer coming from people from places with bad beer (Moretti and Peroni are about the worst beers in the world and on a trip to Italy I found not anything else on offer).

dr_draino

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 01:31:22 AM »
1)  who needs good beer when you've got moonshine?

2)  The south does have a few good beers in small, local pockets.

Hmmm... I didn't think about Oregon.  The Northwest does have some pretty great beer. 

I wonder why the south sucks for beer -- I mean there is certainly the Nascar-Groupthink thing going on, and that's no good for beer quality, but what about cities like New Orleans and Miami?  I've never heard there's any good beer there either -- why?  Well, New Orleans maybe b/c of the French influence?  And Miami b/c of the latin american influence?  I mean, I love France and Cuba, but neither have anything close to decent beer do they?

Are there any cities that have very Italian histories?  Cause then we could test this theory of bad beer coming from people from places with bad beer (Moretti and Peroni are about the worst beers in the world and on a trip to Italy I found not anything else on offer).

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 01:33:25 AM »
Moonshine... or Boone's Farm -- ooohee!