Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are "un-ranked" waiting lists really unranked?  (Read 2294 times)

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are "un-ranked" waiting lists really unranked?
« on: April 26, 2004, 09:20:50 PM »
Do schools really not rank ppl as they claim?

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Are "un-ranked" waiting lists really unranked?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:37:46 PM »
I seriously doubt it.  To a degree, anyway.  From my current situation to what I've been reading on these boards, it seems like a lot of LSs are accepting groups in waves.  I'm on a WL, and people have been accepted from it.  And I haven't been called yet.  So, IMO, the people they've called off the waitlist are, for whatever reason, more desireable than I am.  The waitlist letter even said, "You are among the next group of applicants we'd like to admit."  That tells me:  You're not nearly as great as the people we've already accepted, but we like you better than some of the other folks out there.  They've got to have some ranking system in place, you know?  How else would they make their decisions?  In a way, it makes me feel better thinking they've ranked me than thinking it's all a random crap shoot, you know?

Although, now that I think about it, a random crap shoot wouldn't suprise me, either.   

I'm not bitter.  Nope, not me...
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 09:58:40 PM »
They definately have tiers or layers or whatever you want to call it or every tiime they were to admit someone off of the WL they would look at every fil again.  That doesn't make sense.  I know what u are getting at I got the same letter from USC.  They just don't want to answer that question for understandable reasons.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:08:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't necessarily think they rank each individual person, i.e., "We like Bob better than Cindy but not as much as Betty," but more likely as groups of people.  Who knows - until I actually get admitted, it's all a mystery...  And then once we're admitted, we won't care why or how, 'cause, you know, we got in!  ;)
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 10:09:25 PM »
They must rank the list, otherwise they are essentially saying that they don't care who they accept to fill a seat if their first choice turns them down.  In a way the law school admissions process is similiar to our application process.  My first choice of schools is Yale, and if admitted, I will definilty attend.  But I have also ranked my other choices, and if Yale doesn't come through (and I doubt it will) then I will go to my second choice of schools, rather than randomly picking a school I've been admitted too.  If the law schools did not rank the waitlist, then this would be analogous to me saying "I've been turned down at Yale, so rather than choosing the school which is the best fit for me out of the options available, I will choose a random shcool which I applied to."
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 02:42:37 AM »
Some schools do have unranked wait lists (though very few, and all with different names for the list).  As I understand it, they actually do a complete review of applications in that group again and then determine whom they would like to admit.  Those lists are treated more like a deferred or hold pile, where they go back after they have a better idea of the general applicant pool and how many students accepted will enroll and then review the applications in the wait list group again.  I've had friends waitlisted from schools that have such lists and seen their letters, and that's pretty much what I got from the wording of it.  But as I said, schools with such unranked wait lists call it all sorts of names instead of a "wait list."

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 03:28:05 AM »
Most of the schools with unranked wailists say that they are looking for a 'balanced' class. So if fewer people with engineering backgrounds or from the southwest or whatever decide not to accept their offers of admission, people on the waitlist with those characteristics will have a better chance. That is why there is no ranking, because until the schools know who is not coming from the initial batch of admittees they don't know who they would want to accept off their waitlist.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 08:05:40 AM »
484572, that's what I've read somewhere. That if they need a few more blacks/Hispanics/computer science/non-trad, whatever, that they then look at which of those ppl on the waitlist meet that and select from them. I still have the feeling though that it is somewhat tiered.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »
Well, I'm sure that within whatever subcategorie(s) the school is looking for, they will prefer people with better conventonal qualifications (i.e. numbers) ... but if they are looking for comp sci people, women, AND people from the southwest and you are all of those then that might get you over the hump even if your numbers are not as strong.