Law School Discussion

how much is an Ivy GPA worth?

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: how much is an Ivy GPA worth?
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2005, 10:14:13 PM »
And perhaps the oh very slightest bit drunk.  I just got back from the bar you see.

Blue martinis.  Wow.  That's me!

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2005, 12:09:59 AM »
nobody's attacking your accomplishments at all. I just was confused about what you meant by greater diversity at publics, since I think that the top privates are pretty diverse places no matter how you define them. that's all

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2005, 07:08:48 AM »
Um, Michigan = sTTTate school. In case you forgot.

Oh Fudge off Downy.  You go to MinnesoTTTa.  Kiss my sTTTate school arse.

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2005, 08:32:52 AM »
Though I did not go to an ivy league undergrad (or even an american one for that matter) I don't have a problem with ppl who did being given a slight edge.  However, the more important consideration really should be what program you are in. Without meaning to put anyone down, a sociology degree is nowhere near the difficulty or amount of work of an Engineering or Mathematics degree. I definitely think if someone went to a top 50 undergrad and majored in computer science, they faced a more difficult challenge then someone majoring in sociology at Harvard.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2005, 09:19:13 AM »
Well, I think it depends.

For 90% of college students you're right that hard sciences and engineering are normally quite a bit more intense, and probably more difficult.

But at Michigan I found that people majoring in history, English, and other social sciences or humanities who were planning on entering PhD programs worked as hard as anybody in the sciences.  These were people who often learned two or three languages (as required by PhD programs in most disciplines in the humanities and social sciences).  I had a friend majoring in English who spoke fluent French and read Latin, Greek, and Spanish when she graduated.  And she became familiar with an enormous amount of medieval and renaissance material and scholarship. 

Sooo, I'd say you're mostly right.  For all the schmucks who majored in the humanities and social sciences who're applying to LS, you're probably right.  But there are some who worked very hard. 

I guess the bottom line is that if you majored in engineering or a hard science there was no way to escape working hard.  If you majored in a humanity or social science you probably didn't work nearly as hard, but if you want to get a terminal degree in your field, you may very well have.   

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2005, 10:29:38 AM »
At Yale, CS was thought of as a bit fluffy because it required much less abstract thought than other majors (the less abstract sciences--i.e. not physics--were also thought of in this way). I found that my math and science courses (and I took real classes, not guts, including multivariable calculus and physics-major level intro physics) were in many ways easier than my comp.lit. seminars (there were problems with solutions (!) rather than blank pages that needed to be filled with creative and insightful analysis, and the work took less time.) At least at Yale, those taking humanities and social science majors by no means did less work than those majoring in math, science, or engineering.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2005, 11:11:16 AM »
(there were problems with solutions (!) rather than blank pages that needed to be filled with creative and insightful analysis, and the work took less time.)

There is this myth that floats around that students major in humanities or social sciences b/c either they can't do the work required for hard sciences, or b/c they don't want to work hard enough to do the work required for hard sciences. 

I hear people imply this a lot and it certainly bothers me. That others can't understand why I'd want to major in English instead of Physics stumps me. 

One of the reasons I'm drawn to law is my interest in how common law functions with the ambiguity involved, which is also similar to reasons I'm drawn to literary analysis (If you doubt what I say, wait until you begin your first year of LS. I suspect you'll quickly realize that case law requires a great deal of logical creativity.  There's a book that a couple law profs wrote about doing well on exams called "Getting to Maybe" -- the point obviously to highlight the ambiguity that I'm talking about). 

'lit

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »
i like the chicken without a head   :D

i wholeheartedly agree, as an english major who worked her (aforementioned TTTivy) tush off, but it does seem the range of grades is smaller. i.e. engineers and cs majors work really hard, but if they decide to totally slack they get Cs/Ds/Fs, whereas humanities majors can work just as hard, but if they totally slack the results are not quite as bad-- Bs or Cs at worst. all anecdotal and based only *my* friends, though, so who knows.

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2005, 12:23:28 PM »
i guess i'd agree with lexylit ... while you can work just as hard being a lit. major as an engineering major, it is easier to slide by.

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2005, 04:44:50 PM »
ps lexy, just so it's clear, i don't subscribe to the idea of TTT ivies. in fact, i find the whole TTT pretty awful. my mom actually spent her senior year of college at dartmouth (as an exchange student from smith ... dartmouth was still all male at the time) and went on to spend two years of med school there.