Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara  (Read 1533 times)

Jan

• View Profile
Re: Santa Clara
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 09:14:17 PM »
   I just recently visited Santa Clara...I had pretty much decided to go to USD and now I'm not sure anymore.  I wasn't too big on San Jose...which was literally right down the street...but San Fransisco is so close and the Bay area in general was great. 

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 09:23:02 PM »

So San Jose is not so nice or pretty?  I found a lot of pictures on the internet of the two areas and it seemed that Santa Clara itself was pretty but San Jose was kindof your typical large city (little too much polution and industry perhaps)

habeas_dorkus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 11:17:20 PM »
San Jose is nothing special. Not horrible, but certainly not the best the Bay Area has to offer.

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 11:57:45 PM »
but Santa Clara is a nicer than San Jose?  What are the better areas in the bay area do you think?

thechoson

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 11:59:17 PM »
There are lots of Asians in San Jose.  Lot of businesses and stuff.  I am Asian myself, but when any ethnic neighborhood is in your face like that, it can get kind of annoying.

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2004, 12:25:33 AM »
It's interesting because I was reading about the undergraduate school and the comment I heard most was that it was very homogenous towards white middle class.  I'm wondering if that could be true because I know the law school is close to half asian and they are actually very high in the rankings for this diversity.  When you were there what was your impression?  I don't guess I care one way or the other but it does seem to be an interesting aspect of that school that it is so high diversity wise.

thechoson

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 12:29:00 AM »
I've been in the area, but not Santa Clara itself.  I am not surprised by the undergrad, considering it's religious tradition, I don't think it would attract many Asians.  As for the law school, any law school in California would attract a lot of Asians, just cause a lot of Asians are in CAlifornia and a lot go to law school.  My girlfriend is Asian and from San Jose.  She also recalls Santa Clara's undergrad as being predominantly white, she thinks it's cause of the religious thing as well.  Most Asians tend to go to the UCs I guess.

chica1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2004, 01:56:36 AM »
Santa Clara has a very nice campus with palm trees; it's almost a mini-Stanford look-a-like.  It's also a fairly nice city to live in, with a lot of former alums and current students nearby. Although the undergrad population is pretty homogenous, the law school itself is VERY diverse. I sat in on a law school class and was extremely impressed by the number of asians, african-americans, and hispanic students in a 1st year contracts class. (I'm Latina, by the way, and felt very comfortable in the class.)

Mr. Thechoson, I'm a HUGE fan of your postings, but you don't know what the HECK you are talking about when you say that San Jose has a "lot of Asians" and "ethnic neighborhoods in your face." 'The city's racial population is: 36.0% White (Non-hispanic), 30.2% Hispanic, 26.6% Asian, 3.3% African-American, and 3.9% other.  Yes, certain areas are known for having pockets of racial groups, but when you have average houses costing 600k+, this living segregation is more due to economic reasons than racial.  (That is, people with higher education and making good money are going to be buying the new houses in South San Jose.)

In regard to the city itself, most of the high tech companies are located to the north of downtown, while most residential neighbhorhoods are to the east and south. To the west are the 'burbs like Santa Clara, Campbell, and Cupertino. It's not industrial at all in the sense of factories; Just a lot of Cisco and Ebay-like buildings!

Having lived in San Jose for all of my 24 years, I would say the best cities/towns to live in around the South Bay and Peninsula are: Mountain View, Palo Alto (if you can afford it), Los Gatos, and certain cute neighborhoods in San Jose like Willow Glen or the Rosegarden.

Just my two cents...

thechoson

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 02:05:12 AM »
Santa Clara has a very nice campus with palm trees; it's almost a mini-Stanford look-a-like.  It's also a fairly nice city to live in, with a lot of former alums and current students nearby. Although the undergrad population is pretty homogenous, the law school itself is VERY diverse. I sat in on a law school class and was extremely impressed by the number of asians, african-americans, and hispanic students in a 1st year contracts class. (I'm Latina, by the way, and felt very comfortable in the class.)

Mr. Thechoson, I'm a HUGE fan of your postings, but you don't know what the HECK you are talking about when you say that San Jose has a "lot of Asians" and "ethnic neighborhoods in your face." 'The city's racial population is: 36.0% White (Non-hispanic), 30.2% Hispanic, 26.6% Asian, 3.3% African-American, and 3.9% other.  Yes, certain areas are known for having pockets of racial groups, but when you have average houses costing 600k+, this living segregation is more due to economic reasons than racial.  (That is, people with higher education and making good money are going to be buying the new houses in South San Jose.)

In regard to the city itself, most of the high tech companies are located to the north of downtown, while most residential neighbhorhoods are to the east and south. To the west are the 'burbs like Santa Clara, Campbell, and Cupertino. It's not industrial at all in the sense of factories; Just a lot of Cisco and Ebay-like buildings!

Having lived in San Jose for all of my 24 years, I would say the best cities/towns to live in around the South Bay and Peninsula are: Mountain View, Palo Alto (if you can afford it), Los Gatos, and certain cute neighborhoods in San Jose like Willow Glen or the Rosegarden.

Just my two cents...

A quarter Asian,seems like a heck of a lot to me

thechoson

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2004, 02:13:32 AM »
Then again, I've lived in a city which was 70 percent Mexican. I guess that's a heck of a lot.