Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Poor LSAT/GPA -Need Advice  (Read 4194 times)

Tymeless

Poor LSAT/GPA -Need Advice
« on: December 28, 2004, 04:04:54 PM »
Well I bombed on the December LSAT 148.  With my combined 2.67/148, I am afraid I won't get into any schools.  I am a 25 year old single mother and my gpa was primarly due my crazy life once my daughter was born, full time school, and a full time job. 

Question:  Should I retake and sit for the June LSAT and wait to apply for the 2006 term or should I apply with my present scores and a spectacular PS and pray for a miricale?  What to do?   

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Poor LSAT/GPA -Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 05:52:50 PM »
Do you spell wrong on purpose?

Matt

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »
Wow, sounds like you had a lot on your hands at the time. I am in the same boat as you, 2.9/146. I am going to retake in February, and if I do poorly, I am going to study for 6 more months and then retake and apply for 2006. Have you thought about retaking the test in Feb, and applying to schools that take the higher LSAT? I don't know what schools you want to apply to, but if you can't retake in Feb, at least try applying to some tier 3 and tier 4 for 2005. You could maybe explain your GPA in an addendum as well. If you don't get into the school of your choice, get some work experience, study for the LSAT, and re-apply for 2006. Good luck!
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 06:50:26 PM »
Hi, Tymeless :) If I knew more about your life, I might be able to give you better advice, but I'm going to try anyway:  your GPA isn't very strong, but you have just about the very best reasons for that to be the case.  Really work on your optional essays/personal statments/addendums to highlight those points.  Personally, if I had the time/option to retake the LSAT in your situation, I would -- because you really want to prove to these schools that your GPA is not indicative of your potential.  Study as much as you can, take timed practice tests, and aim for a 150 or above, and there will be many schools that you have a decent shot at :) Good luck!
HLS

jserr14law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 07:37:16 PM »
Don't you dare go down without a fight. Create a slamming personal statement and put everything you can in it. You must indicate your desire to enter law school, especially after having a child. I think you have just as good a chance as everyone else. Just come accross with a positive attitude when you write you statement. GOOD LUCK! NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Tymeless

Re: Poor LSAT/GPA -Need Advice
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 10:28:54 AM »
Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement.  I mean it really helps.  I thought of retaking in February but with the deadlines so close and the competition, I think I will have a better shot of getting in when there are more seats available.  By retaking in June, I will have more time to study and I will be able to apply once the doors open again in September and I will have less competition and more seats.  As far as my personal statement and addendums, I have them done.  I guess I will also take this time to make sure they are stellar. 
With my daughter I am really only interested in schools with part time programs:
Hofstra
Brooklyn Law
New York Law
U of Georgia Law
Nova South Law
Touro

Tymeless

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 10:37:28 AM »
Wow, sounds like you had a lot on your hands at the time. I am in the same boat as you, 2.9/146. I am going to retake in February, and if I do poorly, I am going to study for 6 more months and then retake and apply for 2006. Have you thought about retaking the test in Feb, and applying to schools that take the higher LSAT? I don't know what schools you want to apply to, but if you can't retake in Feb, at least try applying to some tier 3 and tier 4 for 2005. You could maybe explain your GPA in an addendum as well. If you don't get into the school of your choice, get some work experience, study for the LSAT, and re-apply for 2006. Good luck!

Do you or anyone know the stats for reapplying?  I mean if I don't get accepted, I was under the impression that most schools stand behind their first decision.  If this is not true I will try applying for 2005.  Thanks

Eyes of the World

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."
- Wayne Gretsky

I listed your odds according to this website:
http://www.chiashu.com/cgi-bin/lsac.cgi?gpa=2.67&lsat=148

You have a pretty decent chance of getting in at Nova + Touro (1 in 3), and if you are an unrepresented minority (URM) then your odds go WAY up; in fact you could possibly even get in at NY Law / Hofstra.

Hofstra - 2% chance of getting in
Brooklyn Law - 0.3%
New York Law - 3%
U of Georgia Law - 0.07%
Nova South Law - 32%
Touro - 35%

With the information you've provided, I would apply NOW if I were you, but I don't know your situation. You sound like you want to apply next year. If you LSAT goes up 10 points, this is your outlook:
http://www.chiashu.com/cgi-bin/lsac.cgi?gpa=2.67&lsat=158

Good luck!
 :)

maricutie

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 11:15:17 AM »
Is it possible for you to wait a year, re-take the LSAT, as well as take some more classes to help out your gpa? Maybe even at a JC? If you were to do that, there's a very good chance that you could bump up your gpa above the 3.0+ threshold, which would improve your chances considerably, I would imagine.

Eyes of the World

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 11:46:48 AM »
Could she do this? I have not thought of this, but it is a good idea if it works. I thought that the transcript cut off any classes taken after a student's UG degree was granted.

Is it possible for you to wait a year, re-take the LSAT, as well as take some more classes to help out your gpa? Maybe even at a JC? If you were to do that, there's a very good chance that you could bump up your gpa above the 3.0+ threshold, which would improve your chances considerably, I would imagine.