Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: network powerbook to vaio  (Read 125 times)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
network powerbook to vaio
« on: December 28, 2004, 01:57:40 PM »
any computer people hanging out here?

I am having problems with a router I just bought.  It is hooked up to my vaio desktop.  I have a powerbook that has the airport card in it.  My problem lies with the security.  I tried WEP and WPA and neither "password" I set will work on my powerbook.  the powerbook says "password not valid".  well, yes it is as i just set it!
my other problem is i can't get roadrunner to work on the powerbook now...it says check account manager or DNS settings...wtf wtf wtf. 

sigh.....
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

buster

Re: network powerbook to vaio
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 02:03:12 PM »
hmmm...

first, the "password"
-- please elaborate as to the process by which you are setting said password on both the router and the powerbook

second, roadrunner
-- i assume the cable modem is connected to the router; in that case you are unable to use roadrunner because of the password issue. please let me know if my assumption is incorrect

buster

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 02:25:07 PM »
the router= settings page on the netgear site using IE on the vaio.  I first tried WEP...enterned a word into the "passphrase" and hit generate.  It created 4 keys.  I took that the keys were to be used as password.  So I go to PB...select my ssid (which I disabled broadcasting because I can use 3 people's networks in my complex through the thin walls and i do not want people doing that to me!) it says this network requires a password i say ok and enter the key.  no go

a couple things, though I'm not particularly confident that either of them will make a difference
-- WEP keys are case-sensitive
-- perhaps there is (a) a network password setting on the router which is distinct from the WEP setting and (b) a separate WEP settings page for the PB

then i tried WPA and set the password.  i don't like this method because it indicates it only works for 256 minutes then you have to reset it...ick.

I don't know anything about WPA, sorry.

i did not get many directions with this router :(

one rarely does; however, I have often found what I'm looking for on the manufacturer's website(s)

I completele confused myself.  I can almost always figure something out for myself so this is especially frustrating!!! :o

I hate not being able to figure stuff out too. Please accept my sympathies even if I fail to help.

buster

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 03:02:19 PM »
lemme know how it works out