Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR from High School Teacher  (Read 1308 times)

DJ Hunny

• View Profile
Re: LOR from High School Teacher
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 01:40:55 PM »
I do have professors that I can get in college, employer, and volunteer coordinate. Its not a major problem for me. I can get all three of those. I was curious just as I know my HS teacher very well and he has been a major mentor in my life, so I wouldn't have minded him writing one for me either.

thanks Russian!  ;D

jaxon

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 01:42:14 PM »
i didnt call you a jackass. i was trying to illustrate a point in obvious terms.

GoingtoLS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 11:48:13 PM »
High school was at least 4 years ago for everyone applying to law school. People change a lot, hopefully, from the time they are 18 years old to the time they are applying to law school. Go with a prof or employer.

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 09:05:36 PM »
I'm with Mobell.  It seems that this person isn't so much 'your old HS teacher' as they are a mentor figure to you.  As such, I really can't imagine that this would be seen as a negative.  Since you already have a few of the other 'standard' LOR authors, what possible harm could come from this additional source (short of a negative LOR)?  I would go for it, it might just set your application apart from an otherwise equally qualified applicant.

GoingtoLS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 09:53:35 PM »
I mistunderstood the original post. If you already have letters from the normal type of recommender (prof, employer), then go ahead and submit it. If this is instead of a prof, then I would hesitate. But as an extra, it can't hurt and might help if this is someone who has known you since high school and has a current relationship with you.

DJ Hunny

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 12:48:57 PM »
Thanks for clarifying for me guys! ;D I guess I should've been more clear initially, but yes this is NOT my primary LOR. I'm not turning to my HS because I can't get LOR from my current professors.

I do consider him as my mentor, I won't go into details, but to put things short, I owe him a lot for the motivation and support he's given me. Of course I'm not dogging my current professors either, they know how I am as a student and I'm thankful for many for taking the time to help me. I want to be assessed not just on an academic basis, but a personal basis as well.