Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Four UC's  (Read 3685 times)

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: The Four UC's
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »
I am from the east coast and don't know alot about Cali law schools.  I applied to USC though.  Do the other 4 Cali schools warrant more respect than USC.  What are you guys not including it in your California law school rankings.

I assume the OP didn't because they were limiting the discussion to the UC system. If they started talking about every law school in California, the list would be a little longer (notice the OP also ignored StanFUrd). Plus USC...grrr...pack o' cheaters (that's just my inner Cal fan speaking).

But in terms of warranting respect, my opinion is that if you want to practice in SoCal, USC and UCLA are comparable. Great for entertainment law. Great for alumni networking (that is probably the BEST thing about going to USC. The networking is unbelievable). But Boalt still has a better rep than USC...

The best thing about USC is probably its future. They are flush with cash, so 20 years down the line, the school will probably be better than it is today.
Awesome: UCLA (20K/3 years), Boalt, GULC, NYU, USC
Could be cooler: Harvard, Chicago (held),
Shmucks: Stanford, Notre Dame
They're just lukewarm on me: Michigan, UVa, Northwestern, Columbia
caldx on LSN

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 03:49:37 PM »
I am from the east coast and don't know alot about Cali law schools.  I applied to USC though.  Do the other 4 Cali schools warrant more respect than USC.  What are you guys not including it in your California law school rankings.

USC is not mentioned in this thread b/c here we are just discussing the law schools of the UC system. As far as respect, SC is better than Davis & Hastings, below Boalt and close to UCLA (as much as I hate to say it :(). But USC has an alumni network to kill for.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 01:52:51 AM »
That is true. The overall cost of attendance was "only" $11k more at USC this year, for out of state students UCLA actually costs more for the 1st year. Just have to figure out how much the better alumni network of USC is worth.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2005, 04:42:31 AM »
just thought i would throw this in....

i know to us devout readers of USN rankings '05 we have a very clear thought as to the rep of each uc. i saw a ranking from USN from about 10 years ago and hastings was in the top 20!   sounds suddenly different, doesn't it? imagine if today hastings was right up there with GW, WUSTL, and ND! suddenly the school seems REAL fancy. and consider this- lawyers dont peruse USN like we do. when current lawyers and judges were in school 10 years ago and knew the rankings inside and out hastings was ranked right behind ucla. i think their reps are probably very very similar up in northern cali.....

(if you dont believe me, check out hastings reputation with lawyers/judegs in the rankings. WAY higher than the rest of the schools around it! in fact acording to USN today hastings has a generally better rep with judges nationally than usc and a better rep with lawyers nationally than nd! food for thought.....) ;D

Fernando

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 05:39:20 AM »
Thereís another difference thatís been overlooked with regard to the four UC law programs. UCB, UCLA, and UCD have undergraduate programs; these law schools are located within Universities with various research programs, some of which have corresponding libraries. Whereas, UCH is a law school proper, with no undergraduate programs. UCB, UCLA, and UCD arguably have a richer collegial environment. UCH seems to have a richer professional/metro environment because of the proximity to civic institutions and businesses in SF.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 01:49:23 AM »
who here is pluggin to go to a uc next year?

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2005, 05:23:18 AM »
I go to UCSD, came from UCI-area, and have strong opinions on the UCs.

1. UCD is cow land in which you must love 'serene-country living/green acres-fun."  It is a great suburbia with a decent law school that is constantly climbing (just like it's undergrad program, just surpassed UCI.)  The problem with UCD is, it's in the middle of no where, and even a great program that's not known by the state, needless to say, the country, will not bide well for you if you want to get a top job in a major city.  This is not to say you can't get that job, but it will take more work on the candidate's part.  A plus for this school is that the more recognized it's undergraduate program becomes, the more recognition it's law school will get.  Also, being attached to an undergrad campus offers opportunities that are not availabe at stand-alone schools.

2. UCH is a very competitve school.  My uncle is a recent graduate and he related a story in which a study guide was handed out by the professor, and the first person to get them ripped them up and threw them in the trash.  Thus, to survive in a world competing against your's truely, stanford/boalt, takes some drastic actions.  The streets infront of UCH are also full of trash, bums, and prostitutes.  So a fast "real" city pace and atmosphere.  UCH however has the edge of being located in the heart of SF, creating some real world post-law school opportunities at your doorstep.  It is in a prime location to get jobs.  Also the law school, even the lowest ranked of the UC's, has a good starting salary statistic, and is recognized nationally.  The education, of course, is top notch and business oriented, as an "undergraduate mind-set" is missing, creating a more "professional" environment.  My uncle now works in New York making the digits we all dream of.

3. UCLA has the worst traffic ever and it would give even the most calm person murderous urges.  Needless to say, UCLA has an amazing undergraduate program and law program.  I hear it is "more rigorous" than USC.  It does have a unqiue edge with entertainment law school, due to it's proximity to large entertainment firms via Hollywood.  I do believe UCLA has a great national presence, definitely stronger than both UCD and UCH.  UCLA also has amazing graduate departments, so if you're looking for an MA it would be a great place to get one.  The neighboorhood is also amazing (despite the traffic) it's a clean down town.  It is created to suit suburban living in a very compact downtown-like area.

4. Finally Boalt-need I say more? Great program, great IP, great international reputation, great city and also attached to an amazing undergraduate program.  You can't go wrong with boalt--unless cloudy weather gets to your summer-fun lovin.

All in all, UC's are great for Cali-kids because of the in-state tuition and of course, closeness to mom's home-baked cookies. 

::fingers still crossed::
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2005, 05:30:24 AM »

This has nothing to do the post, I apologize in adavnce.

I absolutely-freaking love Arrested Development.  That is one cool avatar you got going on!

"They are so flamboyant and dramatic it makes me want to set myself on fire" -Lucille

M: "To do what with the wetland?"
L: "Dry them!"
M: "Save them!"
L: "...from drying!"

"If you love your ice cream sandwich so much why don't you marry it!"

"First I'll blow him, then I'll poke him!"

"If that's a vieled criticism of me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it."

"Gene Parmasean--he got me again! (Hysterial Laughter)"

I heart AD.
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2005, 11:15:52 PM »
Other than Berkeley, which is certainly one of the best schools in the country, the other 3 schools are very different, but equally good.  These are my observations from talking with some graduates, and my own research:

1) Davis-- stresses a solid general education and a very laid-back faculty which abhors cut-throat behavior. Some say very
                  genuine and competent lawyers. Some say too laid-back and unmotivated. Location: beautiful, tranquil small
                 town/mini city. Think Yale-lite.
2) Hastings - high-stress, high competition, overachieve or bust. Tough. Some say students are too driven and competitive/arrogant.
3) UCLA - Good at just about everything. Not as collegial as Davis, not as driven as Hastings.

In my opinion, Davis is best for someone who wants to learn about the law, and Hastings who wants to fight his/her way to a partnership. UCLA for someone who wants a little of both.