Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Four UC's  (Read 3664 times)

bhvexille

Re: The Four UC's
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 05:33:54 AM »
They don't interview on campus at UCLA/USC?

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 10:40:39 PM »
I asked a similar question on another thread (without answer yet) but maybe someone reading here can give an opinion.

Say I am top 60% (being conservative here), would I get the best firm job from Davis or Hastings... or even sanata clara?
(163+172)/3.5

CalBear04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 12:33:22 AM »
bhvexille:  We didn't talk about OCI.  I get the feeling most of their recuirment efforts were directed towards bay area law schools (the law firm was in Silicon Valley), so while they probably take USC/UCLA students, there arent enough to have a firm policy on what percentile applicants need to be. 

I asked a similar question on another thread (without answer yet) but maybe someone reading here can give an opinion.

Say I am top 60% (being conservative here), would I get the best firm job from Davis or Hastings... or even sanata clara?

In my opinion, you'd be pretty much equal coming from Hastings or Davis.  At the same percentile, I think Santa Clara would net you less/not as good job offers, although if you are an IP lawyer you'd look good b/c of Santa Clara's focus on tech law/IP law.  I don't think their good IP program makes up for the lower reputation of the law school in general, at least vis-a-vis Hastings/Davis.

TLFKARG

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 12:50:23 AM »
Just to screw with commonly-held beliefs regarding admission to the 4 UC's:

I got into Boalt, got dinged at Davis and UCLA and got waitlisted at Hastings.  Surprisingly enough, when I came to Boalt, I learned that many of my classmates had the same experience.

neverunderestimate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 11:50:06 PM »
in the apps, did you write which schools you were applying to?  if yes, my guess is the non-boalt UC schools saw the competition, saw your stats, and figured you'd be accepted at boalt and you'd likely (and understandably) reject THEM if they offered you admission.  call me miss conspiracy.
never underestimate--yourself or anyone else.

TLFKARG

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 12:25:54 AM »
in the apps, did you write which schools you were applying to?  if yes, my guess is the non-boalt UC schools saw the competition, saw your stats, and figured you'd be accepted at boalt and you'd likely (and understandably) reject THEM if they offered you admission.  call me miss conspiracy.
Not likely, considering the fact that my LSAT was below Boalt's 25th percentile, but yes, I listed all the schools that I applied to on all the apps I sent out.

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 12:47:06 PM »
All four are great schools and also an excellent value because they don't cost a fortune. Boalt is definitely in a league of its own, it has a more national reputation and is certainly harder to get into. I went to Davis for undergrad, it a really nice community - small, low key with a bit of a hippie crunchy granola vibe if your into that sort of thing. It has an excellent reputation locally, and there are a fair few opportunities in Sacramento with the Capital being there. You'll probably also head to the bay to look for jobs, which means you're also up against Boalt, Stanford, and Hastings. Hastings has a great reputation statewide, and my friend who just graduated loved it. It's located in not the greatest area downtown, and it's a large school. Most students communte from other areas of the city or from the east bay, which is pretty easy because of the great public transportation in that area. UCLA is also a great school, but I'll admit it's the one I know the least about.
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:30:37 PM »
Just to screw with commonly-held beliefs regarding admission to the 4 UC's:

I got into Boalt, got dinged at Davis and UCLA and got waitlisted at Hastings.  Surprisingly enough, when I came to Boalt, I learned that many of my classmates had the same experience.

That's funny.
Boalt is generally the fourth hardest school to get into in the whole country (after HYS)
I got into all four, but I didn't tell any of them where else I was applying.
Screw Davis, Hastings and LA. If you got into Boalt, the other 3 aren't worth seriously considering anyway.
Congratulations.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005, 11:44:24 AM »
Coming from a Berkeley senior:
UCLA ripped us off. They have no creativity, and their mascot is a small dickless bear.
Davis is a cow town. I hope you like the smell of manure.
Hastings...how much do you like crackheads hanging out in front of your classes?
Boalt. Of course it's the best...

But honestly, they are all good schools, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Davis and Hastings make a pretty good climb in the rankings over the next decade or so.
Awesome: UCLA (20K/3 years), Boalt, GULC, NYU, USC
Could be cooler: Harvard, Chicago (held),
Shmucks: Stanford, Notre Dame
They're just lukewarm on me: Michigan, UVa, Northwestern, Columbia
caldx on LSN

mattstod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 11:02:45 AM »
I am from the east coast and don't know alot about Cali law schools.  I applied to USC though.  Do the other 4 Cali schools warrant more respect than USC.  What are you guys not including it in your California law school rankings.
GPA: 3.3  LSAT: 165
Accepted: UGA
Waitlisted: UNC, Boston U, Vanderbilt
Denied:    Cornell, Georgetown, USC, UVA