Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Four UC's  (Read 3762 times)

DJ Hunny

• View Profile
The Four UC's
« on: December 28, 2004, 12:17:39 PM »
So we have Hastings, Berkley, LA, & Davis.

Any comparisons on the four? Of course one of the obvious is the degree of difficulty to get into each one, but I'm curious to know what aspects distinguishes them from one another, or if someone knows of a place with further information, that'd be fine as well!

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Four UC's
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 02:14:09 AM »
don't come here, CA is for CA natives only  :D
I will miss LA :-(

interface76

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 02:36:44 AM »
hey..this is the vibe i got from all the research...boalt is the highest ranked as well as a great public law program....then comes ucla with a well rounded program...their website does not boast anything special and when i worked there..it just seemed well rounded...hastings (heart of SF...can't go wrong) ...have not heard much about davis other than a good education. I think there is not much distinguishing ucla/hastings/davis except reputation..but boalt is in a league of its own.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 02:50:47 AM »
I agree that Boalt certainly is in a league of its own. UCLA is pretty well-rounded, but is strong in entertainment law and I am told in corporate law as well. Hastings has a strong local reputation, personally do not know how this carries out of CA. It is in a rather shady area of SF (the Tenderloin) and has a reputation of having a very competitive student body. Davis is the newest of the UC's; have heard good things, solid, fairly laid back but don't know how their reputation is among firms/judges...
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:51:49 AM »
This is just my ignorant impression:

Boalt is in a different league from the other three. However, only Yale, Stanford and Harvard are harder to get into than Boalt. A degree from UCLA is still respectable, and if you're in Southern CA, it will probably serve you fine. Hastings is really competitive and cutthroat I hear, because graduates are trying to compete for the same jobs as graduates of Stanford and Boalt, so basically you have to be in the top ten percent and on law review to be taken seriously. The only real reason to go to Hastings is if you insist on going to school in the bay area, and don't have the credentials to get into Boalt (okay maybe that's a little overstating it). UC Davis I hear is not bad, if you must go to a UC and don't go to Boalt. I'd really recommend broadening your horizons beyond the UC system. You'd increase your chances of going to a better school dramatically.    
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

DJ Hunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 02:17:34 PM »
Hey Ronin! I am a native of California. San Diego baby! ;D

I don't think I have what it takes to get into Boalt so instead I'm going to focus on more realistic schools! And yup, Alpha, I do plan on going outside of the UC's, but since I do live in California and like the state overall, I would love to stay, but there's plenty of great oppurtunities elsewhere too!

But I must admit, I am too spoiled by San Diego weather.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 03:18:20 PM »
don't come here, CA is for CA natives only :D

err then don't come to the east coast...it's only for native east coasters.... ;)
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

dubris

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 03:27:54 PM »
I've been told Davis is stonger on public interest law vs business law (and vice-versa for Hastings.) Anyone else hear this?

MondaleHall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 04:23:36 PM »
in my opinion the best public interest law school is the one from which you will graduate with the least amount of debt or has the best loan forgiveness program, which will actually allow you to live on public interest money instead of forcing you to work in a place where you do not want to be just to pay off your loans...

Boalt has a very well respected intellectual property program as well

CalBear04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 03:44:25 AM »
Hastings has a strong local reputation, personally do not know how this carries out of CA. It is in a rather shady area of SF (the Tenderloin) and has a reputation of having a very competitive student body. Davis is the newest of the UC's; have heard good things, solid, fairly laid back but don't know how their reputation is among firms/judges...

While Hasting is technically in the Tenderloin, I wouldn't say its area is shady; its near the civic center plaza where city hall, the opera house, public library, symphany hall, and several large musesums are.  The walk from BART/muni is right through these and safe.  A couple blocks north/northeast of Hastings is where is really starts getting shady.

As for the relative rankings of the Bay Area law schools, I talked to a friend of mine who was on the recruitment committee for a large bay area law firm.  He said to be considered for an interview you had to be top 10% at Santa Clara, top 25% at Hastings or Davis, or come from Boalt/Stanford.  He also said once you reach the interview stage, it didn't matter what school you came from.  HTH