Law School Discussion

Willamette?

midjeep

• View Profile
Willamette?
« on: December 28, 2004, 08:54:20 AM »
Has anyone applied to Willamette? I applied over a month ago and they still haven't requested my LSAC report. I know that they don't review applications till later but I am getting a little worried especially since this might be my only shot at law school. Anyone have any info? I am planning on emailing them after the New Year holiday since most schools are closed until then.

waxman

• 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
Re: Willamette?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »
They requested my report in late November. I applied toward the beginning of November.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 09:18:22 AM »
I've been complete at Willamette for a couple of months, but haven't heard anything from them in quite a while. It seems very strange that they haven't yet requested your report; when did you apply?

I actually visited Willamette's campus on Sunday, which is extremely close to the Oregon Statehouse. The facilities and surrounding campus were both attractive, although Salem was less than impressive. I think it would be a very comfortable and beneficial place to study the law, though I doubt I'll end up there.

If you have any questions about Willamette or Oregon, let me know-- mywife is a native of Portland.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 09:31:25 AM »
I've been complete at Willamette for a couple of months, but haven't heard anything from them in quite a while. It seems very strange that they haven't yet requested your report; when did you apply?

I actually visited Willamette's campus on Sunday, which is extremely close to the Oregon Statehouse. The facilities and surrounding campus were both attractive, although Salem was less than impressive. I think it would be a very comfortable and beneficial place to study the law, though I doubt I'll end up there.

If you have any questions about Willamette or Oregon, let me know-- mywife is a native of Portland.

I applied mid-November. I am assuming they get a lot of applications especially since it has a free online application, but I figured it would want to review some now before it gets inundated with applications. What did you not like about Salem? I have never been to the Northwest so I am really curious about the area. I personally like midsized cities (around 120K-500K population), rainy climate, and natural surroundings. I always pictured Salem as rather mysterious with an old town vibe (basically from what I saw in the movie "Hocus Pocus"). But from the pictures I have seen from Salem online, it looks like an old mining town with crappy unintersting buildings.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 10:36:32 AM »
I am pretty sure that movie was in salem massachustes. Salam Oregon is a far diffrent place.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 10:38:53 AM »
I am pretty sure that movie was in salem massachustes. Salam Oregon is a far diffrent place.

That's what I thought....any law schools there ;)

jakew

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 11:27:55 AM »
I'm from Portland and I must say that I had an opportunity to go to Willamette for undergraduate with a decent scholarship and didn't even consider it... Salem just sucks. For me, anyway. If you like mid-sized cities and the outdoors it might be okay for you. For the most part though, Salem is just a very, very sleepy town. Nothing going on at all. Lots of old people to boot (mine and most of my friend's grandparents lived there when I was growing up...). That said, I think they school itself is pretty decent and Portland is only 40 minutes to an hour away.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 10:25:36 PM »
I live in Portland and Salem is no Portland.  If you are thinking about NW law schools and have some hard on for the rain then you should look at Lewis & Clark or U of O, then of course there are a few Washington schools.  Eugene isn't that bad a town, and Portland rocks.  I just wish they had a better law school here.

Mos

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 10:44:58 PM »
The previous posters are right -- Portland >>> Salem. I moved to Portland 5 years ago from NYC, and I LOVE it here. Definitely choose Lewis and Clark over Willamette. I've been to L&C many times. Main campus is gorgeous, and the law school's facilities are VERY nice. The law library kicks ass. Don't know about their placement, but I would imagine that they do pretty well in the Portland market since they're the only game in town whereas Willamette and U of O are outside of the city.

I'm so going to miss snowboarding at Meadows and Powells bookstore when I go back to east coast for law school next fall  :'(

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 09:43:12 AM »
I applied there as a safety. They requested my report on November 17th and my application had been there since November 1st