Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara <> USD  (Read 2028 times)

prospero

• View Profile
    • Email
Santa Clara <> USD
« on: April 26, 2004, 06:09:02 PM »
Has anyone heard from either of these schools recently. My wife got a job offer in san jose so I have renewed interest in Santa Clara. I am definitely not banking on the UC Hasting waitlist!

forthguy

Re: Santa Clara <> USD
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 06:11:19 PM »
Has anyone heard from either of these schools recently. My wife got a job offer in san jose so I have renewed interest in Santa Clara. I am definitely not banking on the UC Hasting waitlist!

I just got my waitlist letter from Santa Clara on Saturday (mailed Friday.)

Greg

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 06:14:29 PM »
Judging by both schools' administration- inept and insolent, I'd say don't hold your breath

JD07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 08:26:22 PM »
On 4/26/04 I was accepted to Santa Clara. I received a fee-waiver from the school in September which prompted me to apply. In spite of this fact, I still waited almost 6 mos. before I heard back. In terms of the school, I don't know much beyond what is on the website and USNEWS rankings. I work with the public defenders office and the head of our Dept. received her J.D from there. She has nothing but great things to say about the school. If you have any info. about SCU, let me know. I will post after I tour the school and attend some informational meetings. Good Luck

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 09:01:36 PM »
Judging by both schools' administration- inept and insolent, I'd say don't hold your breath

I see you saying this all over the place but my encounters with both have been very positive.  I ended up not applying to SCU but talked to them a few times and the were very helpful.  Same goes for USD.  Either I'm lucky, you are unlucky or you don't approach them very well.

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 09:09:07 PM »
   Hello.  I also have had pretty good experiences with both Santa Clara and USD.  Santa Clara admitted me in December and have invited me to at least three information sessions/receptions so far.  I finally went to one this last weekend so if you have any questions about it, or what they said, maybe I can help.  USD has been very slow to respond to me about anything, but when I called them they were very helpful/nice.  I was admitted there last month...the letter was dated the day of the "newly admitted students day" so I, unfortunately, missed that.  I'm kind of torn between these two schools...I love both locations and while USD is ranked higher I want to pursue IP law (which is a strenth for SCU).  Good luck with everything...I hope you hear (good news) very soon!  :)

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 09:16:56 PM »

I see you saying this all over the place but my encounters with both have been very positive.  I ended up not applying to SCU but talked to them a few times and the were very helpful.  Same goes for USD.  Either I'm lucky, you are unlucky or you don't approach them very well.

You are lucky

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 08:56:43 PM »
Jan, What was your undergraduate major?  I am also trying to decide between USD, Pepperdine and SCU.  I would possible like to do IP law at SCU but my background is in music engineering/film school of all things.  Does anyone know if IP law mostly requires an engineering, math, or science background?

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 09:10:57 PM »

SirenSCF-

Hey!  My bachelors degree is in biology...you need to have a technical/science background in order to take the patent bar however, the patent bar is only required for patent prosecution.  I went to the open house at SCU and went to the meeting on their high tech certificate program...the dean and a 1L and 3L were there to talk about the program and also answer questions.  Not one of the three had a technical/science background.  I'm sure they would be happy to answer questions about that for you...If you wanted to talk to that particular dean I don't remember her name, but I'm sure I could find it for you.
   Good luck with your decision.  It also came down to Pepperdine, SCU, and USD for me.  I finally eliminated Pepperdine due to it being way too conservative for me...but the campus is absolutely beautiful. :)

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 09:17:39 PM »
Jan, So will it be USD or USC for you?  Also what are your impressions of the campuses, it sounds like you're pretty familiar with both?  Or does anyone else have any imput?  Sorry for leaving everyone else out. ;D