Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are  (Read 1858 times)

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are there any other Native Americans or Alaskans?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:17:19 PM »
It will not work against you. Being a native American with your stats you have very very good shot at a top 14.

Yeah, I'm just of a divided mind about this.

Pros:  It could help.  It's totally legitimate.  I was an anthropology major and did a senior thesis on my tribe.  I don't think I'd be displacing any reservation Indians (unlike in lots of Western schools).  Unlike other minority classifications, this one is all about genealogy and not so much about looks.

Cons:  Racism (The 3 schools I like have VERY few Indian students between them.  I hope because they don't apply.)  I don't look terribly Indian, so I'd hate for it to work AGAINST me. 

My grandfather didn't look terribly Indian either, although my aunts do.  He actually became a U.S. citizen, because back then Indians weren't citizens at birth (!)  He was taken away from his mother and adopted by a white family, and shipped off to an Indian boarding school.  Apparently, he actually got into Yale but ended up at the University of Kansas.  And he called himself an "ol' Injun."  So I guess that's why.

I would love to know if I have to send in papers or something to prove it, because I'd have to start hunting for them now!  Thanks for the input.
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

geni

Re: Are there any other Native Americans or Alaskans?
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 10:24:21 PM »
I just found some further info about the Blackfoot tribe... to apply for tribal membership I'd have to be 1/4 Blackfoot.   :(  Since I'm only 1/16 that means I won't qualify. 

Oh well.  I am still going to continue to look into it for the sake of learning more about my family history!