Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's going to Fordham or Tulane?  (Read 1191 times)

undecided

Who's going to Fordham or Tulane?
« on: April 04, 2002, 03:37:20 PM »
I can't decide where to go!  I received a partial scholarship to Tulane and Fordham still hasn't gotten back to me regarding Financial Aid    :P
Any advice anyone?

gqsmoothmacdaddy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Who's going to Fordham or Tulane?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 12:36:48 AM »
For what it's worth, the locations of these two schools are vastly different, while their rankings are not. So, all things being relatively equal, location and placement opportunity should be your main decision-driver.  If you want to live/practice in the Northeast, then Fordham is the way to go (I live in NYC and have Fordham-grad friends. It's got a good rep in the City). It will carry more weight with NY/Boston firms than a New Orleans-based school like Tulane.

Don't get me wrong, Tulane would be a great place to spend 3 years and is a great school, but do you want to practice in the South or the Northeast?

Kavita Gupta

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 07:25:10 AM »
I'm actually trying to decide between the same two schools right now, and i was offered more money at Tulane, which is making me lean in that direction. I want to practice in DC after school, and am interested in Environmental law - any advice?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 04:24:28 PM »
One thing to keep in mind -

I always here people talking about where a school can "place you", never mind where you want to go.  A schools statistics are good for seeing where people ARE going, but not where people COULD go.  Granted, having alumni in the area you want to practice will generally help your chances, and local name recognition doesn't hurt, but keep in mind that just because people tend to go to a particular area doesn't mean you will be limited to that area.

I was thinking about this last year when I decided to come to Boston from San Francisco.  "Only 10% of BU grads go to the Pacific Region."  Oh-no!  What if I want to go back?  Having been here for a little while, I see that it's not that I can't go back to CA, it's just that I might want to stay in Boston or New York.