Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why persians (iranians) are not URMs  (Read 12121 times)

lshopeful

Re: why persians (iranians) are not URMs
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 02:12:56 PM »
(I'm going to say this very carefully so as to not come off wrong ...)

Pookie -- I've heard huge generalizations about the typical Persian college-aged female from friends of mine who've had experience with the Persian communities in SoCal: essentially, they're considered to be really materialistic, and occasionally wooed by such things as expensive watches, jewelry, etc. To me, they just seem like you can't really say things like that about a such a large group in general, but given the well-off status of Persians I'm beginning to see how people could have made such generalizations. Not that they're right, but I can see how they'd originate. But then, all the Persians I've met don't seem to fit this stereotype; maybe because my persian friends are guys ??? 

PS -- The instance my friend re-iterated to me was one occasion where he'd observed in class a guy trying to get this girl to ditch her boyfriend by said wooing.

Enlighten me at your leisure, por favor ... 

You shouldn't be entertaining such racist comments. You certainly should not believe them and definitely should not post them on a bulletin board. Imagine the same thread, but about things heard about hispanic women. What a two-faced hypocrite Mari "cutie" is. As the moral says, a snake will always show their true colors.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 02:20:13 PM »
Whoa Marti....

Three of my closest friends are Persian and they do not fit that stereotype of the materialistic brat. THey are some of the most down to earth people I've ever met. Perhaps you shouldn't make generalizations about a group based on hersay. Hell, I've met more snotty wealthy black women (You find tons of them being in Jack and Jill) in my lifetime LOL....

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 02:29:54 PM »
You shouldn't be entertaining such racist comments. You certainly should not believe them and definitely should not post them on a bulletin board. Imagine the same thread, but about things heard about hispanic women. What a two-faced hypocrite Mari "cutie" is. As the moral says, a snake will always show their true colors.

i assume your issue is that her way of phrasing it came off as "i dont believe in the stereotype, but tell me it is wrong."  meaning an implication a stereotype like that for an entire group might, somehow, ever-remotely, exist. 

she probably didnt write it perfectly, despite trying to be as careful as possible, but i certainly think the "two-faced hypocrite" is a bit much (read:  waaay over the top).

AmbitV

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 02:51:29 PM »
the materialistic stereotype definitely exists.  Not saying whether the stereotype is true or not, but everyone in socal knows about it.  I mean, I've personally met persians in socal who felt it necessary to preface their introduction by saying "I'm not one of those typical materialistic persians"

lshopeful

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 02:53:42 PM »
Well I for one don't appreciate or entertain such comments, about any race.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 02:54:28 PM »
i could be wrong, but i read maricutie's post as a question about college-aged female persians in general.  not just a specific group in so-cal (but used so-cal as example).

AmbitV

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 02:57:29 PM »
as far as i can tell, the stereotype is limited to socal persians for some reason.  I live in Norcal.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 03:00:59 PM »
I understand where LS is coming from. Any sort of stereotype or assumption about a group of people, especially if you belong to that group, is very insulting. I think Marti is a cool person, but her comment came out wrong. IF some random person on here said all so cal Latina women had child bearing hips, she would probably take offense.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »
I understand where LS is coming from. Any sort of stereotype or assumption about a group of people, especially if you belong to that group, is very insulting. I think Marti is a cool person, but her comment came out wrong. IF some random person on here said all so cal Latina women had child bearing hips, she would probably take offense.

I don't see why stereotypes are so bad. For one, I embrace and practice most of the stereotypes that people have about Russians. I love vodka and snow, I'll readily admit that russian women are unatractive etc.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

maricutie

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 03:04:23 PM »

Sigh ... I knew it was going to come off wrong no matter which way I said it. I was just wondering if the generalization and stereotype existed, or if it was just my friend drawing it out from this one instance in class. I, for one, don't even have enough experience with Persians to even be able to believe or disbelieve such statements. Sorry if I offended anyone, as careful as I was trying to be.