Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted at Miami!!!!  (Read 2968 times)

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted at Miami!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 03:06:54 AM »
mooo
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

evil_betty

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 09:16:16 AM »
Come to Miami!!

Yay Linzy Yay!!! I'll see you there!!! oh, we'll have so much fun, yay! yay! Go Linzy!!!

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 10:45:41 AM »
Linzy,

That's awesome that you're flying down there soon.  I visited before I applied (I'm from Michigan too) and I was just stunned.  It is seriously the most beautiful college campus I've ever seen. I think the only reason people go to FSU and Florida is b/c those places are so cheap for in-staters that it's really hard to pass up.  But thankfully we don't have that dilemma! 

Anyhow, you are going to love Miami.  It's really quite an amazing place.  I think people from the north can appreciate Miami in a way that southerners can't, after living in the frigid cold for 20+ years. 

BTW you should pick up a guide book to Miami to tell you where the best places to go are -- there is some incredible shopping and dining to be done in Miami Beach.
Anyhow, good luck!   

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 11:29:15 AM »
Congrats, I will be going down to Miami also.  It was my #1 choice and a longshot but I got in.  Let me know about your visit... the apartment hunt especially.  I'd really like to live at South Beach but I hear mixed things.  Let me know what the apartment situation looks like around Coral Gables.  Good luck.
Going to Miami

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 11:41:32 AM »
BUT i wrote an addendum explaining a medical condition (remember the poop post?)
What's your poop medical condition?  :P
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

Eyes of the World

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 11:45:58 AM »
Congrats  ;D

I got my acceptance letter today!

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 01:42:09 PM »
Congrats, I will be going down to Miami also.  It was my #1 choice and a longshot but I got in.  Let me know about your visit... the apartment hunt especially.  I'd really like to live at South Beach but I hear mixed things.  Let me know what the apartment situation looks like around Coral Gables.  Good luck.

I would talk to the admissions office, even if just briefly, about the apt situation.  They can point you in the right direction.  Also I've heard that they send out information on housing/roommates in March (it said in my acceptance letter) and I've talked to a few students (when I was down there) who said that would be a fine way to find an apt.

I stayed in Miami Beach while I was in Miami and it was amazing.  South Beach might be a bit sketchy at night, but I think it would be an okay place to live -- but not necessarily if you're in your first year of law school I think.  You really don't realize how far South Beach is from Coral Gables if you're just looking at a map, but it's actually like 12 or 13 miles.  That doesn't seem like a lot, but I wouldn't really want to make that commute every day.  If I were you I would live within walking/biking distance or somewhere on the elevated train line.  U of Miami seems to not have much parking (I certainly wouldn't want to deal w/ it everyday).  Plus, when I was there I took public transportation from South Beach to the University of Miami one day.  It is a bus ride all the way downtown and then a transfer to the elevated train. There is no easy way, in other words, to get from south beach to coral gables by public transporation. 

I wouldn't panic too much about housing -- if you went to college in a place similar to where I did (ann arbor, mi), you might be used to signing leases in November for the following year... I think that's highly unusual in the real world.  Especially private landlords (often the cheapest and best housing) probably list properties in most cities starting in January or so if it is largly student housing.  But then I guess many landlords don't necessarily run by the "academic" calander anyhow. 

Well, okay, the point is that people at the Univ of Miami can tell you where the students, esp. the law students usually live.  They told me when I was there that some live within biking/walking distance of campus, others on the edge of miami on the train line, etc... but I forgot part of what they said.  BTW another thing about South Beach is it is supposed to be one of the more expensive places in the whole area to live -- so another reason why it might not be the best place to get an apt.  And besides, you might not be doing much laying on the beach your first year of ls anyhow.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »
Congrats Linzy. UM is also one of my top choices.

Btw, this is a random question, but how much easier are 2l and 3l compared to 1l?

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 03:56:35 PM »
I am just going to pick up some brochures, because i dont know when the next time i'll get down there againg wil be. I lived in ann arbor and I am used to signing leases a year in advance, and i'm also used to the rediculous $800 a month rent for a small sh*t apartment. I want to be close to campus, I dont want to deal with the traffic on US-1 everyday, nor do I want to fight for a parking spot. Plus, I want to be able to go out of my apartment alone at night and walk my dog, and not be afraid of wackos.

Evil Betty, I see that you were accepted to Miami. Stop being so obnoxious to me and maybe i'll encourage you to go there as well.

Iroincally enough I've had plans to go to Miami for new years for months. Now I will be soo much more excited when I see everything because I'll know that I'm for sure going to be there very soon.

By the way, does anyone know what to do about transcripts? Do I send the schools an updated version now, or wait until march when I graduate? I tihnk that I have to send this last semesters grades to LSAC anyway, and then they forward them, correct??
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 04:30:04 PM »
Would it be a good/bad idea to live in the North Miami Beach/Hallandale area and get to UM by public transportation every day? Is that too far?

I've heard Coral Gables is expensive.