Law School Discussion

Harvard or Yale?

Harvard or Yale?
« on: December 27, 2004, 03:18:51 PM »
I want to go into international women's human rights, and probably academia.  I know that in terms of both human rights and academia, Yale supposedly has the edge, but it concerns me that Yale has the lowest percentage of female professors, and also seems to have very few courses on family law, women's rights, reproductive rights etc.  Location is probably not a factor, and the school environment is very important, but I don't know if I want to go to a school that offers almost nothing in the field I know I want to work in.  Any thoughts from students at these schools? Does anyone know if Yale allows you to do a semester at another school (like the Harvard-Boalt 3L program) if they don't offer the courses you want?

Regal_Muse

Re: Harvard or Yale?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 03:24:32 PM »
Did you even get accepted into Yale yet? In the event that you do, I would go with Yale since you are interested in International Law. A few months ago I got the rare opprotunity to meet dean and he basically discussed how Yale is on the cutting edge of interntional law. Before, law schools taught state law, then eventually the curriculum was federalized. SO naturally the next step would be to incorporate international law. Yale is such a great school, but on the flip side you can't go wrong with Harvard either.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 03:46:33 PM »
The women's rights part is more important to me than the international aspect (I think the state of women's rights in the USA is pretty dismal and want to work on that as well). And yes, I've gotten in to both schools. Should have said that at first - thought it was clear from the fact that I'm weighing the options now : ) Thanks.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 03:54:17 PM »
Yale is sending out acceptances already?! Congrats! I thought they wait until March to send out acceptances.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 03:56:02 PM »
abc, CONGRATS!!!

regal, there are four people on LSN who have been accepted.  (abc, are you one of them?)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »
abc, CONGRATS!!!

regal, there are four people on LSN who have been accepted.  (abc, are you one of them?)

Yeah, I think so.  I just started looking at these websites (jd2b.com's blatant racism and general rudeness sort of scared me off) so I'm not really checking and updating frequently. But I think I put it on LSN.