Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is 166 a bad score for T14 shcools?  (Read 8475 times)

worried

• View Profile
Re: Is 166 a bad score for T14 shcools?
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 03:51:44 PM »
thanks guys that is the kind of think I think I should here, but after the fact I am not getting.  I think some of these posts can make even fairly rational people anything but.  I am very familiar with statistics and know that a bunch of applicants in the 99% percentile are not a representative sample of the population, but it is still hard to not think that anything below a 170 'sucks' and that I will get rejected everywhere and had I taken the exam in dec the admissions director of yale would fly down to shake my hand.  Thanks for putting it in perspective.  I have been getting between 165-170 on practice exams with the higher end occuring more frequently.  I would definately not say that a 166 was an anomoly thoguh so I should prob just take my chances and quick bitching.  Thanks!

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 03:56:08 PM »
we all get nervous in the waiting game.  dont retake (just my personal opinion) and so long as you sent your apps in and everything in order i think you'll hear good news from at least one of t-14 schools, if not several.

g'luck and try to relax a little ;)

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 05:55:06 PM »
3.96 gpa with a 166 is going to get you into some t14s.  Don't worry about it, seriously.  I just hope you applied early. 

The 3.96 is exceptional, and the 166 is high enough not to hurt their LSAT numbers.  You'll get in to a couple.

Matt

maricutie

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 11:29:58 AM »
I don't think it's a 'bad' score -- maybe not excellent for the t14, but I wouldn't say 'bad.' Especially considering your GPA. Ditto on the applying to Boalt and Michigan ... if you have excellent ECs, some nobel-prize-winning LOR, fabulous WE, or some other 'plus factors,' i'd even say that columbia, nyu, chicago might be within reach. Also, when did you apply? That seems to be having a big effect this cycle ...

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 03:32:19 PM »
Why does everyone keep bringing up Michigan?  Are they more likely to take people with lower LSATs, if they have high GPA's?  I know Boalt is like that, but are they also?

maricutie

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 03:36:26 PM »
Why does everyone keep bringing up Michigan?  Are they more likely to take people with lower LSATs, if they have high GPA's?  I know Boalt is like that, but are they also?

Michigan is more 'about the person,' so if you have some nice plus factors I think you have more a shot there than other t-14 schools. Some other schools are entirely about the numbers, whereas Michigan looks at everything. And Boalt, of course, loves their gpa's, but I have a feeling that in upcoming years they might start getting a little more selective to push up their rankings. My 2 cents.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2004, 03:54:24 PM »
ha--well if you're serious, i think harvard is as numbers-centered as they come.

maricutie

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 03:57:14 PM »
Michigan is more 'about the person,' so if you have some nice plus factors I think you have more a shot there than other t-14 schools.

Arrgghhh.  I just want a school that is about nothing but the numbers.  I hate this "whole person" darn.  Who wants to sit in class with 160s-level scorers anyway?

HTH

'Lobe

The same kind of people who write risky personal statements, I would assume.  ;)

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 07:13:12 PM »

Michigan is more 'about the person,' so if you have some nice plus factors I think you have more a shot there than other t-14 schools. Some other schools are entirely about the numbers, whereas Michigan looks at everything. And Boalt, of course, loves their gpa's, but I have a feeling that in upcoming years they might start getting a little more selective to push up their rankings. My 2 cents.

I'll def have to give Michigan a try then.  I need all the help I can get :)

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 07:16:39 PM »
The same kind of people who write risky personal statements, I would assume.  ;)

hehe
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive