Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what if i can't do well  (Read 3976 times)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what if i can't do well
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 08:07:39 PM »
I don't know how much BS it is, but GPAs can vary so much, based on where you went to school (I hear Chicago is very challenging) and what you majored in, whereas LSATs are completely standardized.  That might be why some law schools put more weight on LSAT scores and your PS than GPA. 

As for indicating success in law school and beyond, I doubt that.  I think a good LSAT score indicates a.) being able to control nerves under pressure b.) being able to think quickly and c.) being a good test taker.  Some of that might be useful in practicing law and going to law school, but is only a small part of the whole process.  I.e., the LSAT doesn't test people skills!
HLS

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »
There are studies that suggest that the LSAT, by itself, is weakly correlated with success (as measured by grades) in law school.  The best quantifiable indicator of law school success seems to be a combination of GPA and LSAT scores.  As for success as a lawyer, I think dolce brings up a great point: people skills matter a lot.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 08:21:14 PM »
the key is it's considered the best standardized predictor.  Given the hundreds of thousands of test takers, coming up with such a test is a difficult feat, and the type of questions is obviously going to cluster around the mass center of test takers.  if you really think a test that involves 25% logical games is the best unqualified  predictor (note, left out standardized), well.. what can I say?  8)

Wildflower

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 11:51:54 AM »
LSAT...predictor? Well, I know a guy who graduated in the top of his class in law school.
He only scored a 141 on the lSAT.
...........of course he went to Cooley~~ :-\

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 12:45:19 AM »
LSAT...predictor? Well, I know a guy who graduated in the top of his class in law school.

Hmmm... Is Cooley THAT bad?
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

shiveringjenny

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 12:49:26 AM »

i dunno. from what i've heard, since practically everyone who goes to cooley wants to transfer out, there is insane competition for the top spots. for this guy to have graduated 1st in his class, he had to have worked his ass off. however, if i were in the top spot of cooley, i would transfer out, so its possible that the reason he was at the top is because anyone who had done better in the past had already transferred to a better school.

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 02:11:21 AM »

Sorry, I don't knw much about Cooley, but how could he get in with a 145, is he an URM? When I looked at that number thing, sorry mind blanking, like the only school you could get into with that score was something along the lines of Law School of Peurto Rico.